BUG - image gallery is broken, full screen images aren't working properly

Right, but my point is that Discourse isn’t intended to work correctly over DSL

Ahhh… and that is all I’ll ever have since I am in a Complete Dead Zone for Smart Phones…My house has foam sheathing with aluminum foil ( semi Faraday Cage…and the only available Internet service is DSL, and I waited for it to be available for almost 20 years… I had sattelite for a time and that was just about useless especially with 300 mb daily allowance for UP or Down loading…

It really isn’t a real problem, it just takes an extra step to view the artwork…
But opening in New Tab is instantaneous! It just never clears and display over the expanded Blurred Background…The background image from the initial Click only takes a few Milliseconds to load…

Thanks anyway Joseph :wink:

1 Like

Internet connection has nothing to do with this. The image downloads (as can be seen in the debugger). The bug is somewhere in how it handles fitting the image into the browser window, as can be seen by re-opening the image in different browser sizes in my video. It’s an amateur bug.

Sounds like you know how to fix it - I’m sure the Discourse team would welcome a pull request:
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pulls

I already went out of my way to report the bug to you. :slight_smile:

I tried reproducing this by throttling my internet speed to DSL and 3G speeds, but still can’t reproduce this. I wonder if there’s something else specific to your installation that might be causing this. Can you reproduce this in another browser or private browser window?

Ah - what is the bug, exactly?

Incognito window works well, it skips the blurred-out background and gives you a smaller image, which can be enlarged with a second click…the same as if you just open in a new tab… so I’ll keep doing it that way.

Just want to report a similar problem. Running on Firefox 119.0 on Windows 10.
Same problem with Chrome:

Incognito mode does not work with either.

Here’s my console log for Firefox, but I believe it’s outputting the same as @RSEhlers .

Content-Security-Policy warnings 2
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://blenderartists.org/assets/plugins/discourse-adplugin-b6043a2b4912997a6cb125f3fa8a47f77011aa8bc26de100c8b493e9cef230fc.js”. 1489663:33:123
Content-Security-Policy: The page's settings blocked the loading of a resource at inline ("script-src"). sandbox eval code:1075:347
Content-Security-Policy: The page's settings observed the loading of a resource at inline ("script-src"). A CSP report is being sent. sandbox eval code:1075:347
InstallTrigger is deprecated and will be removed in the future. index.js:15
DEPRECATION: Reopening the Ember.Component super class itself is deprecated. Consider alternatives such as installing event listeners on the document or add the customizations to specific subclasses. [deprecation id: ember.component.reopen] deprecate-shim.js:33
Uncaught SyntaxError: import declarations may only appear at top level of a module 6fc17049cd3e731ae6dd2f4d6a74ba187637c01a.js:2:1
[THEME 63 'discourse-social-links-clickable'] To prevent errors in tests, add a `pluginId` key to your `modifyClass` call. This will ensure the modification is only applied once. plugin-api.js:144:12
[THEME 55 'discourse-homepage-feature-component'] Deprecation notice: use injected siteSettings instead of Discourse.SiteSettings [deprecated since Discourse 2.8] [removal in Discourse 3.2] [deprecation id: discourse.global.site-settings] deprecated.js:52:12
[PLUGIN discourse-patreon] Deprecation notice: $.cookie is being removed from Discourse. Please import our cookie module and use that instead. [deprecated since Discourse 2.6.0] [removal in Discourse 2.7.0] [deprecation id: discourse.jquery-cookie] deprecated.js:52:12
Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://stats.blendernation.com/piwik.js”. 1489663:1:1
Deprecation notice: Setting timezone property of user object is deprecated. Use user_option object instead [deprecated since Discourse 2.9.0.beta12] [removal in Discourse 3.0.0.beta1] [deprecation id: discourse.user.userOptions] deprecated.js:52:12
[PLUGIN discourse-solved] Deprecation notice: Importing getOwner from `discourse-common/lib/get-owner` is deprecated. Use `import { getOwner } from '@ember/application'`, or if you still need the fallback shim, use `import { getOwnerWithFallback } from 'discourse-common/lib/get-owner';`. [deprecated since Discourse 3.2] [deprecation id: discourse.get-owner-with-fallback] 3 deprecated.js:52:12
[PLUGIN discourse-patreon] Deprecation notice: $.cookie is being removed from Discourse. Please import our cookie module and use that instead. [deprecated since Discourse 2.6.0] [removal in Discourse 2.7.0] [deprecation id: discourse.jquery-cookie] deprecated.js:52:12
[PLUGIN discourse-templates] Deprecation notice: Importing getOwner from `discourse-common/lib/get-owner` is deprecated. Use `import { getOwner } from '@ember/application'`, or if you still need the fallback shim, use `import { getOwnerWithFallback } from 'discourse-common/lib/get-owner';`. [deprecated since Discourse 3.2] [deprecation id: discourse.get-owner-with-fallback]

Just taking a guess here: I’m wondering if your browser (or system) is so locked-down with privacy addons, that it’s blocking things you don’t want it to.

I was wondering that. I’ll investigate. Chrome on my comp isn’t though, so that should work as intended.

Okay, I’ve tried Firefox in debug troubleshooting mode, still has the same image modal problem. Not an addon causing issues.

@bartv I’m having the same problem for both Chrome and Opera browsers on Windows 10. Issue is happening inconsistently, sometimes when I launch full screen works, sometimes it doesn’t.

I recorded a video demonstrating it:

Though I noticed something weird for this project gallery: Office - Animated
If I click the image on my laptop screen (1920x1080), image appears blurry. But if I drag this window to my big monitor (2560x1440), then image appears full screen without issue.
But same principle doesn’t work for this project gallery: Pneumatic Mechanical Arm - Hardsurface Modeling

I’m guessing something related to image resolutions and in combination with screen resolutions.

I just realised that the lightbox was still marked ‘experimental’. I disabled it and things should return back to the old image viewer. You’ll need to reload the page for the changes to work.

1 Like

:+1: … problem solved… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Another example of… sometimes it’s just not that easy as one thought… :person_shrugging: or :crazy_face:

:wink: :bat: :jack_o_lantern:

1 Like

Issue has been remedied with mine too.

1 Like

Same Here…

1 Like