Bugged hand behavior when posing

Hi there! I’m trying to create a character, but every time I try to attach a model to a rig, strange artifacts happen to it’s right hand. Trying to manually weight paint the model’s hand also results in artifacts. There are no such problems with the rest of the model. Moreover, if you put the model in Mixamo, then there are no artifacts (not counting Mixamo’s)
I’m using a rig from Rigify

This is what happens when you try to pose the hand

And here’s how the blender automatically set the weights

This is what happens when you personally place the weight of a model’s finger

Hi, the automatic weights on fingers never works well because of the short distance between the fingers.
When you manually paint the weights you need to blend between two bones to get the right affect. and use the blur brush to soften the blending areas. also i have noticed you only have two bones in the fingers mesh ideally you need three in the finger and one in the palm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFm8laDkOk

When you weight paint, make sure that you have Auto Normalize enabled.
Your manually painted screenshot looks like it has full weight for the selected bone, but the mesh isn’t fully following the bone’s rotation. There is probably some influence from other bones affecting the mesh.

Auto Normalize is in the Options section of the brush Tool panel. It’s also available in the ‘Options’ drop-down menu on the right of the top toolbar.

You can see which vertex groups are assigned to a vertex. In edit mode, when you select a vertex, the Item panel will have a ‘Vertex Weights’ section. That will show you the groups, and weights that affect the selection.

1 Like

Probably, for autoweights, you need to check and recalculate your mesh normals. Looks like you’re getting autoweights for backwards normals.

1 Like