Build in text by word instead of character

I am trying to do something that I thought would be fairly simple, but after looking for several days I can’t find a solution.
I am trying to create a kinetic typography video and one of the things I would like to be able to do is display a sentence on the screen, but I would like the sentence to build in word by word. I know that I could create each word of the sentence as a separate text object and then build it in that way, but that solution is less than ideal, mainly because I may want to edit the script as I go and this would require me to adjust the spacing manually for each word in the sentence following the change. I have looked at the typewriter addon, but that animates by character. I tried the animation nodes, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around that interface enough to be able to use it. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”

A way to get the end result would be to type it all out, convert the entire thing to mesh, then in Edit mode break up the words and create new meshes from each selection. Then you could use any number of ways to make it appear: Layers, Materials etc… The drawback of course is that you lose the ability to make changes later without a lot of work.