Building blender problem

Hi, recently learned how to build blender with the help of a great tutorial over at Blender Cookie. Since then I have wanted to build some of blenders branches however I keep running into error problems.

I am trying to build the render25 branch and keep getting this error:

scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets …
Compiling ==> ‘AUD_Buffer.cpp’
Compiling ==> ‘AUD_BufferReader.cpp’
intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_BufferReader.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void AUD_BufferReader::seek(int)’:
intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_BufferReader.cpp:47: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions
Compiling ==> ‘AUD_C-API.cpp’
Compiling ==> ‘AUD_FileFactory.cpp’
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp:59:
intern/audaspace/SDL/AUD_SDLDevice.h:31:17: error: SDL.h: No such file or directory
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp:63:
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:35:19: error: AL/al.h: No such file or directory
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:36:20: error: AL/alc.h: No such file or directory
intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp:73:34: error: libavformat/avformat.h: No such file or directory
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_FileFactory.cpp:35:
intern/audaspace/ffmpeg/AUD_FFMPEGReader.h:36:34: error: libavformat/avformat.h: No such file or directory
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_FileFactory.cpp:38:
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:33:21: error: sndfile.h: No such file or directory
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_FileFactory.cpp:35:
intern/audaspace/ffmpeg/AUD_FFMPEGReader.h:78: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘AVFormatContext’ with no type
intern/audaspace/ffmpeg/AUD_FFMPEGReader.h:78: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘’ token
intern/audaspace/ffmpeg/AUD_FFMPEGReader.h:88: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘ByteIOContext’ with no type
intern/audaspace/ffmpeg/AUD_FFMPEGReader.h:88: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘
’ token
intern/audaspace/ffmpeg/AUD_FFMPEGReader.h:111: error: ‘AVPacket’ has not been declared
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_FileFactory.cpp:38:
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:35: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘sf_count_t’ with no type
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:35: error: typedef ‘sf_count_t’ is initialized (use typeof instead)
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:35: error: ‘sf_read_f’ was not declared in this scope
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:71: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘SNDFILE’ with no type
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:71: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘’ token
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:76: error: ‘SF_VIRTUAL_IO’ does not name a type
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:89: error: ‘sf_count_t’ does not name a type
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:90: error: ‘sf_count_t’ does not name a type
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:91: error: ‘sf_count_t’ does not name a type
intern/audaspace/sndfile/AUD_SndFileReader.h:92: error: ‘sf_count_t’ does not name a type
scons: *** [/Users/Matthew/blender-build-render/build/darwin/intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_FileFactory.o] Error 1
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp:59:
intern/audaspace/SDL/AUD_SDLDevice.h:45: error: ‘Uint8’ has not been declared
In file included from intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp:63:
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:49: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘ALCdevice’ with no type
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:49: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘
’ token
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:54: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of ‘ALCcontext’ with no type
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:54: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘*’ token
intern/audaspace/OpenAL/AUD_OpenALDevice.h:124: error: ‘ALenum’ has not been declared
intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp: In function ‘void AUD_initOnce()’:
intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.cpp:96: error: ‘av_register_all’ was not declared in this scope
scons: *** [/Users/Matthew/blender-build-render/build/darwin/intern/audaspace/intern/AUD_C-API.o] Error 1
scons: building terminated because of errors.

I assume that there is a problem with my openal setting or that I don’t have the dependancies for them installed properly but I am not sure what is causing the problem. I’m hoping someone out there will be able to tell me what I’m doing wrong and that it’s not too obvious.

My operating system is OSX 10.6 snow leopard if that is needed at all.

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

I’m having exactly the same problem on OSX 10.6. I have xcode installed with MacOSX10.5.sdk. Python 2.6.1. same error message

I use Window$ so don’t know much about snowleopard but I think I’d look at your user-config.py and try commenting out the openAL stuff
see if you can fix it that way then proceed to try to figure out what you’re missing

on another note, where did you find the URL’s to download different branches?
I can build the trunk stuff but don’t know how to play with the branches

Dave

same problems for me too, with Os X 10.6.2, same audaspace errors.
i think it maybe a source problem, since i built with no errors till two or three weeks ago and didnt make any updates or modifications to my system, python, build tools etc.
unfortunately I haven’t enough skills to help you with a solution, so i simply will wait for next Blender revisions.
good luck, and if you fix the errors please keep us informed :slight_smile:

I followed the tutorial and get it to work on OSX 10.6.
I had to change the value in the config file for FFMPEG from True to False otherwise I did get errors.

When I had this or a similar problem I found that it was due to the library files being in the wrong folder, make sure the path from the blender directory to the library is …/lib/<OS>

what darwin lib did you checkout with svn?

mkdir lib
cd lib
svn checkout https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/lib/darwin-9.x.universal

is the correct one for a 10.6 Snow Leopard and regular Leopard.

Hi, thanks for all the replies guys.

Last night I thought I’d try have another go at figuring out the problem. I knew the problem had to be with the libraries. I went and had a look at the libraries in the trunk and found the universal one aermartin mentioned and tried that. Sure enough after running the build process it completed fine.

So if you have any problems use the lines aermartin supplied, they should fix all your problems.

If it doesn’t it could be the FFMPEG, though I haven’t had any problems with that. I installed FFMPEG and was able to build it no problem with FFMPEG. So you might want to set FFMPEG to False.

Thanks again, hope this thread helped others as well.

Daily Kos? Could you be a little less partisan,sweetie? How about something where everyone can have a voice? Go figure!..

I’ve successfully compiled Blender (on OSX 10.6) now … first time… yay!

made a few mistakes before I got it working:

I realized that I’d checked out the wrong lib dependencies. I had to get lib/darwin-9.x.universal and not darwin-8.x.i386

I also had to set python to 3.1 in the config file and not the version used by default on my Mac (2.6).

I also had to set -
WITH_BF_GAMEENGINE to False
WITH_BF_BULLET to false and
WITH_BF_FFMPEG to false

I also had to install Vorbis