Bulge

Just plain and simple sculpting of the character using the voxel remesher workflow. Experimental Sculpt Vertex Paint was used to add some color.
Simple 1 light setup with a (to the camera) invisible white plane in the background to get some reflected light.

Most of the postprocessing done in Photoshop - like additional hairs, noise, color balance, level and exposure tweaks. The background was quickly painted with some grungy brushes.
Additional postprocessing done in Topaz Studio get a mild painterly feeling.

53 Likes

Super interesting art style and render. I like the background degredation, too. The subject looks very carefully modeled/sculpted. What was your workflow like?

1 Like

Great work, congrats.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Love you Bart!

2 Likes

Amazing Character !!!

1 Like

Just plain and simple sculpting of the character using the voxel remesher workflow. Experimental Sculpt Vertex Paint was used to add some color.
Simple 1 light setup with a (to the camera) invisible white plane in the background to get some reflected light.

Most of the postprocessing done in Photoshop - like additional hairs, noise, color balance, level and exposure tweaks. The background was quickly painted with some grungy brushes.
Additional postprocessing done in Topaz Studio get a mild painterly feeling.

Thanks for your comment. :wink:

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Great work again @Harti ! I love how there’s a certain tenderness in the portrait, next to a sense of tragedy.

By the way, we’re side by side in the top row! How cool is that? :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks yet again for the love and your comment. Always very much appreciated. :wink:

:handshake:

2 Likes

@Metin_Seven Literally yes :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

:blush:

Thanks to all voters, much appreciated! :heart:

2 Likes

Are you all insane?
This is just disgusting;
Why do you waste your time doing such monsters?

Some people suffer from real deformities and I do not see any social progress achieved with this kind of ‘art’.

Your comment is welcome even though i don’t share your opinion. If you don’t enjoy horror or grotesque art feel free to overlook or skip such threads/posts.

Same could be said about beautiful, cute or idialized people.

I like to create my character with flaws like scars, plagued by diseases, misfigured anatomy and so on. And that is just as normal as creating “normal” looking and healthy people imo. Just my 2 cents.

5 Likes

SOCIAL PROGRESS LMAO

hey everybody look here we got the social progressor in our midst

you know what? Just for that I’m going to dedicate my entire artistic career to violence

Let’s all do this

Because of what you said here, I, personally, want you, as an individual, to have less.

1 Like

Other than the technical expertise there is art here. Great work Harti! I see someone both burdened and strengthened by her form. She longs to be normal but she has not allowed her challenges to make her bitter or rob her of enjoying life. Instead she has developed strength, kindness, confidence, inner beauty.

“Social progress” is the only thing of value? All things are worthless unless they promote “social progress”? Most things with “social” in the name are really really bad. I don’t want your “progress” that says this woman is monster. (You wrote, “Why do you waste your time doing such monsters?” You don’t get to edit that into the memory hole.)

I don’t even see this as a “deformity” this looked like a portrait of a post-match UFC fighter. I thought it was really cool on that basis alone

When the scope of our perceptions, minds, interests is not narrow but is broad and varied we can see so much more in everything.

2 Likes

Sorry for this debate, Harti; this fell on you but it is actually directed towards the whole community.
Many 3D modellers and graphists become merely technicians and produce whatever piece of image because they do not read, and have therefor nothing to say. Then they go get hired by the first commercial who sells games and movies to brainwashed teenagers.
And indeed: Cute girls dolls deserve the very same analysis.

Read books; find a reason to work for!

You’re really making me want to break some rules.

I’ve let a day go by and I still think about your post, so I cannot leave it be. Fate wants me to do something about it. You cannot go on un-challenged after this incredibly bold overstepping of boundaries in manners. There’s this self important, sanctimonious, smug air that a LOT of people in this particular forum have over art, and it’s absolutely nauseating. I personally did my most reading when I was a teenager, the height of my “brainwashed” age. that was also at a time where my visual art abilities were at an all-time low because my design vocabulary was limited and my observational skills were too. Do you know why? It’s because reading words doesn’t generate new images in your head. It collages existing ones together. The only way you can become a better visual artist, especially a commercial one that does a lot of representational work, is to OBSERVE things. Once I started actually doing figure drawing and still life and proper visual studies, I was able to break down why I liked the illustrators I liked and started accentuating my own observations in my work as opposed to just copying my heroes.

You want to talk about what reading does for artists? Sure! There’s a lot of supplemental healthy things that is promoted in the practice of reading. None of them involve this strange moral line in the sand you’ve drawn where some things can be portrayed just fine as long as they’re in the name of some sort of nebulous “social progress,” and others are abhorrent… this is a very facist dichotomy. You need to tread lighter.

Thing is, what reading a wide variety of material does for someone, that is encouraging introspection, cultivating sympathy, exercising critical thinking skills… all those are things you demonstrably lack in the way you’ve sounded off in this thread the way you did, insulting the OP and the rest of us in just two short posts.

Healthy introspection would have had you go “oh, this piece isn’t for me, I’m just gonna skip it” instead of coming in and shaming all of us for being touched by the art and the artist for creating it. This is a bad character flaw. I myself have struggled with it in the past. When I was a fucking child. Now I’m only here because I see this as a potential learning experience for you.

If you’d cultivated sympathy, you might have gone “oh man, she’s not having a great time. This piece is pretty confronting” and then you’d decide from there whether or not you like it. You certainly wouldn’t call it a monstrosity. And again, from there, you’d probably just skip it if you didn’t like it. It’s not worth insulting technical good work on the merit of morality when nothing actually horrific is being depicted. This isn’t a genocide, it’s just a beat up lady with a vaguely positive enough facial expression that, for me, pulls it away from the normally horrible connotations that come with the words “beat up lady”.

If you’d exercised your critical thinking abilities, you’d see the flaw in coming here to finger wag. You’d have gone “huh. This person portrayed an injured/deformed woman.” and then you’d go “what does that mean?” A step you obviously skipped.

Your diatribe about folks who don’t read having nothing to say… this is absurd. Absurd. Presumptive, insulting, egotistical, naïve. All of those words.

I’m not sure if I have the time to do a thorough takedown, so here’s the broad strokes.

This is untrue. You are insulting Harti and all of us directly.

Text is not the only valid medium in which to convey an idea, it’s merely the simplest. It requires very little interpretation superficially. What you see is what you get with words. Reading isn’t inherently special, it’s what writers do that make it special. Obviously, right? Like with anything, literature varies wildly in quality and subject matter. It’s not more special than film or videogames in its restrictions and freedoms. It’s just a way to convey information. Reading does not make you special. You’re doing it right now, but personally I still find you pathetic. See? Reading doesn’t make you a better person! If it did, I’d think you were a cool guy!

I can tell you right now, as a commercial artist working in the games industry doing VFX daily for games specifically targeted towards children, the art is not brainwashing these kids. Teenagers are just stupid. The subject matter isn’t making them stupid, they’re just innately stupid. That’s how it is. We had to remove double jumping from a game because a UK focus group kept messing up the timing and couldn’t progress. Brainwashing doesn’t do that. What it DOES do, however, and this is a real problem, is make them ok with and defensive of horrible business practices, like the sunsetting of hundreds of individual consumer’s dollars worth of content in Destiny 2, or the entire concept of the Gacha genre. That, unfortunately for your argument, has nothing to do with the visual and thematic aspect of the art.

Look, I get it. I understand that every other time you open BlenderArtists or look at Artstation and it’s the same bratz doll barbie lookin ass overwatch woman posing with her ass out, it can get a little tiring especially on the 10,000th time. But here’s the thing. Those pieces are often made by people who are good at what they do. It takes an intimate understanding of anatomy, composition, and rendering (lights, materials, how they tie into composition) in order to make those images cohesive and appealing, for however thematically boring they may be. It takes talent. Talent deserves praise. You have no idea how much I want to go to artstation and click on the 600,000,000th League of Legends Jinx fanart and go “DUDE. LITERALLY DRAW FUCKING ANYTHING ELSE.” But I won’t. Because, get this, this is the important part, I’m not a PIECE OF SHIT. I am NOT an asshole. I am aware of my place in the universe, and it is that of an individual among a sea of individuals. I am not even .01% of the total human population, and hopefully I never will be! I am NOT important enough to be making morality calls to strangers just doing art for the hell of it. I know this is true of me. What will it take for you to see it true of you?

To round it off, let’s finish this last bit.

I already had compelling reasons to work. I can’t speak for the OP, but I have a personal interest in interpersonal relationships being affected by the tides of time. Purpose being disrupted by entropy, be that in the form of a relationship falling apart, losing a job, dying, whatever. Life changes are interesting and dramatic. I like to see them, I like to ruminate on them, and I like to portray them. I have a reason to work. Plenty of them. Fictional violence in media enthralls me because it is a small and visceral dramatic capsule. A substory within a story. Violence is change in its rawest form, and I am addicted to its portrayal on that front I love FPS games. I love action movies. I’m not brainwashed, I just have good taste. I also enjoy real palpable dramatic capsules in the form of watching my friends grow along side me and start families. I like petting my cat! I like kissing my wife! I like to laugh! I like transferring these emotions to others. I think that transference of the non-corporeal reality is something that defines humanity. I don’t need to have read books to tell me these things. They’ve definitely helped me put it into words! They wouldn’t help me portray it visually or audibly or through movement, however.

But you’ve added another to the list! I now have a GREAT new reason to make art! To make people like you profoundly uncomfortable.