Bump is effected by viewport zoom?

Noticed this today and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this: when I zoom in and out in the viewport the depth of my bump seems to change? I don’t have camera or window vectors controlling anything so I’m not sure why it would do that. Attached are two screenshots of different zoom levels, you can clearly see the bump is more intense as I zoom out. Is this an intended behavior?

Node setup:

That is not the bump map scale, it is caused by the texture’s details frequency.

2 Likes

your texture color has a pretty intence light=dark colors difference, by looking at the pattern is obviously a noise or musgrave texture you use d,so you should lighten or darken that texture with a coloramp to make the color blending more obvious, so thats the reason why is so noticeable when zooming out, but anyway i think it shouldnt happen even because of that, but what denoiser are you using, that might be adding some extra threshold to the pixels? is this eevee or cycles?

thanks for the thoughts - this isn’t using a denoiser just raw Cycles.

I’m using a map range instead of a color ramp for this because it was letting me be more subtle and have more control over the depth scaling.

well try baking the texture, and re-render to see if the problem persists. maybe this is occurring because is a procedural texture…

Ah see here’s the issue, it’s perfectly consistent in the render - the viewport preview render is where it changes. It doesn’t break my workflow or anything but it was surprising to see and I wanted to know if anyone else had experienced it.

1 Like