Bump Map Painting in Blender (GSoC 2010)

I use win at work. If I don’t forget, I will build this soc branch tomorrow at work.

waiting for endi’s opinion… :wink:

Bumpmaps painting good, I has use for it, but I need profesional use interfase and new GUI or else is totaly useles!
NOW

You Sir are awesome! I look forward to testing :slight_smile:

Very nice work indeed.

Would be very quick to use to make normal maps for both rendering and for the BGE, though for the BGE it would have to be made so the image is seen as a tri-color normalmap when the game starts like how it’s seen in the viewport rather than the black&white image in the UV editor.

Seeing Ptex in there now would then be fantastic as it would end the need the UVmapping and you aren’t limited by resolution (though I am aware that this was an optional part of his proposal since before the GSoC timeframe started)

looks like kwk is on a role now, very good to see!

very nice !! , thanks a lot .
i imagined this feature before , but i can’t code !!

LMFAO…I think you have captured his sarcasm prefectly.:yes:

Thanks for that,
P. Monk

@liquid ape
the bumpmap painting function isn’t in svn yet. His Video was added about 22 hours ago. The last svn commit is on friday. I have compiled a recent build of his branch! But the checkbox “height to normal” isn’t in yet! I guess we have to wait a bit until he commits this to his branch!

There’s a patch linked to…somewhere – video page maybe?

He’s awaitning for feedback from other devs before he commits, there’s a link to the patch here:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2010-July/028257.html

Hi to all of you,

first of all please excuse my late response. Yesterday was my family’s last day of their journey in Spain and we toured through the city. I didn’t have time to answer to all of your posts and so I’ve decided to take some time today.

Please let me express how glad I am with you guys being so happy about bump map painting! It really means a lot to me that this feature has been awaited so long and that you are happy to get your hands on it. Speaking of this, today I will look into building executables for graphicall.org.

As some of you have noticed there’s a patch linked on this wiki page: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=User:Kwk/Gsoc2010/BumpMapPainting But since not all of you might be familiar with building Blender I will try to make builds at least for Ubuntu 10.04 32 Bit and Windows7 32 Bit. If you are interested in building Blender with the “Bump Map Painting Patch” you don’t need to checkout my branch. In fact I wouldn’t recommend it because the latest changes to the paint tools in trunk let to a somehow severe damage in my branch after I’ve merged my code with the trunk line. The best was is to checkout trunk and apply the Bump Map Painting Patch.

I’ve also updated the wiki page a lot, please check it out!

Thank you all again! You’re the best!

-Konrad

PS: I will try to answer some of your posts individually when there is time today.

I think that’s actually already happening. I remember from reading one of his older soc reports that it is only able to display normal maps in 3D view, so it’s being converted to a normal map on the fly. Might be wrong information, but that’s what I’m guessing.

Hi Konrad, glad to see you arround here, have you seen this?:

http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2010-July/028257.html

Yes, I’ve seen it and already implemented Frederik’s fix. You can find details on the wiki page.

That’s right! I convert bump maps to normal maps on the fly. You can find the details here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Kwk/Gsoc2010/BumpMapPainting#Solution

Is there a way to get this without GLSL?

Really gald when I saw the video with bump painting. Seems to run quite smoothly on the 3D viewport.

I was wondering if there are plans to make it possible to use “normal-map-brushes”. For instance we would get a normal map by baking a noisy 3D surface from a real model, on a flat plane, and then use that normal map image as a normal-map-brush.

In my opinion is always easier to work with a grayscale map than with a normal map, it’s easier to understand and at the end you will get the same results.

Konrad: have you sorted out the problem with the render?

It could be quite useful for “decal” type of bump painting… for instance painting screws or stitched cloth seams. The shape would be transferred more accurately and with more sense of “depth”.