Bump Map Painting in Blender (GSoC 2010)

I’m more stoked about the layer system. :smiley: I wonder if they will have blend modes/opacity.
While we are on a wishlist mode, I also wouldn’t mind a more robust brushes tool and selection tool with a fill bucket tool. :confused:

Just built your branch and played with this late sunday night. Wow, that is going to be artist friendly. Very nice job. It will make it so you don’t have to sculpt all those super tiny details. Good job. Only issue I had probably is not yours…the texture painting seems to paint down and to the left of where my brush was by about 3.5 inches. Anyway - I’m excited to see this in trunk!

Hi,

I’m happy to announce that I’ve built and uploaded the Blender trunk with my Bump Map Preview Patch to graphicall.org:

I’d love to hear your feedback on the builds:

Cheers,
-Konrad

hey konrad,
just downloaded your build for windows.
I don’t have the normal to height checkbox! Do I have to set something in my settings that I can use it?

Works great for me. Ndee - just set material texture to normal. Thats all

Nope. Doesn’t work for me.
What I’ve done: Created a plane. unwrapped it. created a material. created a texture. selected the texture in editmode. set it to uv coordinates. enabled normalmap checkbox. disabled color influence, enabled normal influence.
turned on glsl and switched to texture shading. if I paint now i just get black and white contrasts where i paint. I don’t have the normal to height checkbox like in konrads video on vimeo.

Hi,

there is not “Height to Normal” checkbox anymore and the video is outdated. Please DISABLE “Normal Map” checkbox and ENABLE “Normal” under Influence->Geometry. Then it should work. Your setup looks ok to me. To be sure, please check that you proceed this way.

Sorry, but people reported to me that they’d like to have bump map preview working without any additional settings and it’s clearly the better choice.

Thank you for trying out my build!
-Konrad

Hi Konrad, thanks for the builds, I just wanted to comment some things, first of all I have a problem with painting directly in the 3D viewport, I think I’m doing something wrong, cause also I cannot use the texture paint in Beta or Alpha version, so must be my workflow, so I couldn’t try in the 3d viewport, but in the image editor and it works perfectly.
Just a suggestion, in my opinion the workflow to set up a bump painting is quite non-user friendly, it’s very confusse that you have to dissable one option to make use of the other, also because there is no any text in the parameters that actually says: BUMP MAPPING.
And finally what many people commented here before, white should be height and black low.

Crashes here (Windows, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M). No warnings, no errors.

Does it check whether all the required stuff is available? (like fragment shader version, etc)

I just fixed the problem I had with painting in the 3D viewport, now my concern is about the height values and the non-friendly interface.

Hi Sam,

about the workflow: When you wanted to set up a bump map before in Blender you had to do the exact same things. You don’t need to disable another option. If you want to do normal mapping with a normal map, you enable “Normal Map” but not if you want to do bump mapping.

Yes, there is no parameter saying “BUMP MAPPING” because Blender UI text is more technically oriented at this place. You have to know the details what bump maps do, not how but what: They influence a surface’s normal. That’s why the influence slider is titled “Normal”.

I won’t change the black/white issue until my patch has been accepted because it would require changes to the renderer which would break other renderings.

I also developed a way to add channels (bump, spec, diffuse) faster. See this video: http://vimeo.com/12864832

-Konrad

but you still can use inverted NOR button to get right results from standart (0=low 1=high) b&w texture while use it with blender internal renderer

went to the windows built on grapical .org
and got an AVG infected file warning ?

what’s happenign with this ?

virus problems at graphical ?

would like to test but without virus if possible !

Thanks

Yes, I can add such a button. But probably not until GSoC is finished because I need to finish my other tasks.

Konrad, my concern is about the new users, I think most of the people here can adapt with this workflow, but for a new user will be a very strange way to set up a bump map, because in several 3d packages they have different options for normal maps and bump maps, and most users will look for a “bump map” option but there’s nothing called bump map in blender, since always that was a problem with blender, please try to make it more user friendly, not only for advanced users.

@ SanCameron

what hapen to the unlimited clay brush ?
has this been totaly cancelled or will it be integrated independenlty from this bump map text?

i like this unlimited clay cause it limits the Vertex count to a minimum caue it’s done lcoally on the mesh and more like a displacement map i guess then map but it would be a plus for blender !

happy 2.5

Downloaded the build and works like a champ on my vista 32/ ati radeon mobility hd2600 system. I’m super happy about these improvements to the texturing system. Keep 'em coming! :smiley:

well you can’t cause it’s in blender allready from ages due to it’s nonstandart and flexibility approach :slight_smile:

I’m still talking about “inverted button” and now i’m realized it’s not anymore in 2.5 lol

so well till 2.49 there was NOR button (in map to pallete) which can be switched on and inverted same time (it was drawed in yellow then)
in 2.5 it’s no more like that and instead you can go to minus numbers with Normal factor so then it’s inverted

conclusion - while stay compatible with all over cg world with 0=low and 1=high, and still get correct result in blender internal renderer we just use negative value that’s it

sorry for bothering you with it but I really don’t like another step of inverting textures for use outside of blender

you still have the invert function!! just set a minus infront of you normal value… works exactly as in 2.49

As much as I know, Raul got stuck with the re-calculation of the mesh, cause he is looking for a method to redraw the mesh partially, actually blender remesh the entire mesh, so for each stroke blender have to redraw the whole mesh, it is possible that this happens for an actual limitation of blender in handling meshes, so I think Raul is after a method to do a partial redraw, if he cannot find any method then he would have to wait for the bmesh implementation after all.