Bunc's Sketchbook

Attachments

Revisited this one with a lower viewpoint and plants. A small low sample render with no post processing. Ill probably add some volumetrics and may add extra volumetric clouds. Materials also need refined and composition still in flux.

Attachments

Some post processing on an earlier image.

Attachments

Decided to do a procedural skin shader from scratch tonight and I got this far. I quite like the effect of this one. ( its a low sample render just now)

Attachments

Ive tweaked my simple skin shader a bit more. It is simply made of diffuse and glossy shaders so its fast. Its not suited at the moment to closer shots I think. It has some microdisplacement which you cnt really see itself but It seems to give some comlexity to the way the skin reacts with light. Im not after real world stuff here just a useable skin shader thats fast. This is not there yet but I still like the look it gives. Im not sure if anyone else will though. This was 81 samples.

Attachments

Here ( same render settings) I have increased the saturation on the skin diffuse color. It gives a passable impression of a bronzed northern skin type I think? Some tweaking with skin hues and saturation and Ill try to get different types of skin. I suspect dark skin may be challenging but well see.

Attachments

a dark dusky skin type. Just adjusting the diffuse color got this.

Attachments

darker again.

Attachments

Darker again but with the lighting up a bit.

Attachments

Some further work on my simple skin shader. I was trying to get as close as I could without adding SSS but I finally had to give in and add some in. It makes the shader a bit slower of course. I would be interested to hear anyone views on the results im getting here. Its easy to become blind to what you are doing after a while.

Attachments

Another iteration.

Attachments

Ive added eyebrow eyelash and lip shaders as I git fed up looking at yet ano=other baldy. I might do some hair and see how it looks with that,

Im happy about how my simple skin shader is developing. The specular has a texture which is far too large scale and I need to sort out some bump but as a simple shader I think its working.

Edit: I was so focussed on the skin I didnt really look at the eyes but she looks as if she is squinting. This is a manuel bastoni model - ill need to check if its me or the model itself thats crossed the eyes.

Attachments

A closer render shows I still have work to do and that right eye is quite goofy. Im going to take a fresh look at this tomorrow with fresh eyes.

found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Luschan's_chromatic_scale

Attachments

As a break from my skin tests I decided to do a quick procedural world. I like doing these from scratch because often thats when i find new things of doing things. This was a case in point and I got this using a fairly simple node setup. There is a little post processingsome contrast mostly) but not very much - most of the work is done by the simple node group.

Attachments

This is a better version of that last one. Its not quite right yet for me but I know what im trying to do!

Attachments

Some interesting comments here about matching camera perspective to human eye percieved perspective and camera lenses to achieve this. Keeping this here for extra reference.

More work on my skin shader. This is a lighter pinker skin. Ive tweeked the sss as well as other parts.

Attachments

Useful page so Im just dropping a link here for myself.
http://lousodrome.net/blog/light/2012/09/11/readings-on-color-management/

Browsing BlendSwap I came across a skull, so I added eyeballs and got this. The DoF isnt right of course.

Attachments

Aperture change and some post process

Attachments