C++ In Ubuntu ?

Hi , actually i want to join the Blender devolpment , i want the c++ language for ubuntu 7 … is there anyone ? , don’t tell me use google :o … i used it , and it seems that i can’t figure out how i can find an open-source c++ for ubuntu …
and one another reason is i am interested in programming for PSP …
please help
thanks

Hi,

Blender is mostly coded in C not C++. This page may be of interest: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/New_Dev_Info

Aligorith

im no expert on c++, but i know abit of the basics(define variables and print them).

ubuntu has a c/++ compiler by default, and is accessed using the command line with the make command.
this is where i got my limited knowledge from

but is there any program like visual studio in ubuntu ?
thanks

LOL Wow, good time for this thread to come up. I actually just spent about a half hour this morning looking for good IDEs for C++ and Linux. Here’s what I found.
Anjuta- What I’ll be using, standard for GNOME
KDevelop - I almost downloaded this, but it’s mostly for KDE apps
Dev-C++ - I’ve used it on Windows, it’s very nice

–>codeblocks www.codeblocks.org (look on the “nightly build” forum)
–>eclipse CDT (www.eclipse.org I guess! Don’t try to understand the whole eclipse framework stuff for now, just click on the c++ IDE link.)

Be default, ubuntu doesn’t install GCC nor G++, you’ll have to select those packages yourself.

erm, thats it for now!
Dani

Dev-C++ is a windows application. That won’t help you on Linux…even though the page says something about Linux too, but i’ve never seen it there…though it’s not really suitable for big projects anyway IMHO.

Btw. you don’t need any IDE to work on blender, a compiler, debugger and text editor is all you need, even in the 21st century :stuck_out_tongue:
But that’s a matter of taste i guess…i’m fine without IDEs, but then again my projects don’t have much foreign code, it’s mostly in my head anyway…so i don’t need suggestions on how to complete my code.

If you go to the Dev-C++ Sourceforge page you’ll find the Linux downloads. Either way, I’d recommend Anjuta.

Oh wow indeed…version 0.0.7 from 2001 :smiley:
But i have some slight doubts anyone ever managed to build that, the install scripts and Makefile don’t seem to do anything useful.

Code::Blocks and Anjuta seem to be the best ones. I have been using Code::Blocks for irrlicht and Anjuta for most college related things.

I wouldn’t recommend Eclipse for C++… It just doesn’t drill it.

Code::Blocks and Anjuta both support C++ and C, so its fine.

The latest Eclipse/CDT builds are actually quite nice, but only for editing and building / indirect makefile management (ie. everything can be done from the gui).

You don’t use an IDE for just syntax highlighting (which helps a lot for spotting typo’s) and code completion features. What do you think about a well integrated debugger? I think that’s one of the best features of some IDE’s out there. It’s much much much faster, much nicer and much more useful than GDB on the command line will ever be :ba:

For instance, you can just hover over variables when you use MSVC 2005 or later… hover over the plus/minus-icons to automatically expand for more information… all without doing anything but moving your mouse a bit… that just so fuckin’ rocks! :RocknRoll:

I dislike Microsoft, but I have to admit: Microsoft Visual Studio is a good product. One of the very few good products they have. It doesn’t even crash… ever. :o

Hi
I am just not in the mood of trying stuff at the moment, but does anyone has experience with Ultimate++? I was in search of an IDE a while ago, was happy with Anjuta and EclipseCDT worked quite okay for me, too.
But am back to Gedit/ vi now… :yes:
The integrated debugging thing is quite true, I guess especially if its not your code that you are having trouble with.
Fun,
Felix

…or to debug code you wrote yourself a few years ago :ba:

(must comment… must comment… don’t describe what it does… describe why it does it… *can still feel the pain)

Hm yea visual debugging is nice…unless you happen to write render code…like me :spin:
A breakpoint or unconditional trace inside a loop that gets called several thousand times before something interesting happens is just pointless. Not to mention render code with full debug information is pretty slow so hacking custom conditional traces in the code usually ends up being the faster solution anyway…someone please invent something genius for that :confused:

Btw has anyone tried insight? Looks pretty nice, but somehow the one that comes with ubuntu is everything but stable. Most of the time it either hangs, crashes, or causes segfaults in programs to debug which definitely work fine in gdb.
Wonder if they screwed up compiling, i have the strange feeling they ignored an important direction regarding the library versions…

g++ is a great c++ compiler. KDevelop is easily the best IDE out there right now. And it’s not just for KDE apps – it comes with templates for gnome apps, command line development, etc. I would recommend switching to KDE though; it’s far superior, having been started over a year earlier than GNOME, and having used object-oriented C++ (unlike GNOME’s C) from the beginning.

I never found an IDE I liked in the Unix world. One option is to buy a mac, but really I think I might end up making my own IDE at some point. Not the most productive use of my time but oh well.

just do:

sudo apt-get build-essential

to get a building environment available in ubuntu.
If you want to build your own blender then follow this tutorial. Sudo apt-get each of the dependencies and you’ll have a good and complete programming environment:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/UbuntuBlenderCompile

I like
geany
and
codeblocks

As ide’s or whatever… geany has highlighters and stuff for alot of languages also, python, perl, php and more

I completely agree.

Not to say that IDEs don’t offer certain benefits, but it’s nowhere near as essential as some people claim. Actually, in some cases using an IDE can hurt you just as much as it can help you (ever see one of those “intellisense junkies” trying to write code all on their own - just using a text editor…they freeze up like popsicles).

Personally, being so overly dependent on yet another specific application, and it’s own set of specific functionalities in order to produce a binary…it just makes me uncomfortable.

Doing a little more typing seems like a better deal IMHO.

It is a question of productivity. If you work with a lot of coworkers at a big system with different layers of components - well, explain to your boss why it is so great to do everything by yourself. And why they can instantly change things in seconds where you have to edit several files. And why they produce less bugs because they have different views on the same subject (one of them being the raw text files, btw). And why they can switch positions and have a day off without the whole developement process stopping (because it is only in their heads and others would need weeks instead of days or hours to get involved). If you insist on working that way, you can do. You will have a lot of time for that then. It is absolutely fine for small projects with only very few participants (around one is a good number for this). It is fine for projects without the need to be productive, in projects where all participants are fully involved (doing something for fun in spare time is entirely different to doing something for money the whole day). There are good reasons why the choice of IDE is often enough not one the single developer is allowed to take.