Camera perspective

Hi.

I’m having problems with the camera perspective. All is too much stretched.
And setting the lens doesn’t resolve the problem, it seems to just set the zoom of the camera.

Here are some pictures of what I mean :

NORMAL PERSPECTIVE

REALLY ANORMAL PERSPECTIVE

I also tried to set the cam to ortographic but it sets the view from outside the hut in which the camera is.

What to do to have a normal human view?

Thanks in advance.

T. Edoc

i’m curious to know as well… sometimes it seems like you’re looking through a curved glass, and it doesn’t help much :expressionless:

MeshWeaver

p.s. hey T.Edoc :smiley: i’m guessing you predicted i would come and post here :wink:

Could you post the blend file or maybe just tell us the camera settings.

Yes MW, I knew you’d come at least see the topic. :wink:

Well, the lens of the camera is set to 18.00 . I don’t use degres, and it’s not ortographic.
However, at the normal value (35.00) I have the same problem. The only difference is the zoom of the camera.

T. Edoc

do you mean like having Perspective Mode less, um, Perspective-ey?

like mixing Orthographic camera mode and Perspective? cause if that’s the case, i still don’t know what to do :wink:

seriously, though, is that what you’re looking for?

MeshWeaver

Yes, exactly. But apparently there’s no way to change the perspective in Blender.

There is a way to change the strenght of the lens, but that only changes the zooming. The perspective stays exaggerated.

There is a way to set ortographic, but the camera films from outside the hut. …but it is actually inside the hut…

T. Edoc

yeah… perspective mode isn’t the best choice for reproducing human vision… not in my limited experience, that is :smiley:

could anyone help us out? :smiley:

MeshWeaver

Well, really nobody knows about it? I was sure it was an easy one.

I can detail more if it’s necessary.

hey T.Edoc, I had an idea. it won’t necessarily work, though.

so, it seems the room is quite small, right? well, try scaling the room up. like, 5 times larger. maybe it won’t be as bad…

i would suggest changing the scaling center to 3D cursor, with the cursor right beneath the center of the floor. to change it, just press the “.” key (period) :smiley:

Well, I just tried and it doesn’t resolve the problem. All is still stretched but is larger, that’s all.

Thanks anyway for the idea!

The perspective of any camera, including Blender’s virtual camera, is a function of the field of view of the camera, which is in turn determined by, among other things, but very importantly, the focal length of the lens. While Blender’s Lens setting is not an accurate value for focal length in mm (as is seen in a real camera lens), changing it will still alter the perspective characteristics of the view. A very small value for Lens, which may be needed when working “inside” a model of very small size, will always give a distorted perspective.

The solution is to build your model to a reasonable scale in Blender. A common scaling factor is 1BU = 1m (the physics sims seem to work best at that scale). If your model is built to that scale, a more reasonable Lens setting, say 50 to 75, will give a more “normal” perspective (closer to what the eye sees) but perhaps still see enough of the room when inside it. If not, scale your model up by a factor of 10 and readjust the camera setting and position. Eventually you’ll get the field of view you want (i.e., how much of the room you see) but with a higher Lens value that will give better perspective results.

At around Lens = 100, the view starts to get a bit into the “telephoto” range and the perspective starts to get flattened (just the opposite of what you’re seeing), which can be useful for some architectural views, as the lines in structures are kept more parallel (less keystoning effect). Max Lens is 250, I believe, which gives a very flattened perspective, just like telephoto lenses do.

You can use a long focal length from outside a room, and see onlythe inside : You just have to set the starting distance of the camera to the distance behind the wall,and you will see through the wall as if you were in the room !

I use this method when there are planes mapped with photos in the scene to reflect something on the objects.It allows to see through the planes without seeing them.

Good tip, Roubal. But using a “longer” Lens setting on a very small-scale model will also lead to somwehat unnatural perspective, because the model itself will be too small, and will tend to have “miniature” perspective. That’s one reason miniature-makers for the movies try to build their models as large-scale as possible.

If you want the perspective of a scene to look as natural as possible, it should be built close to natural scale (easier to do with virtual than real models), and a Lens setting chosen that approximates that of human eyes, or better yet, human perception.

If I remember well, human eye focal length is around 58 mm…

That was the reason of this weird value on old Zenith camera optics.

Welcome to the world of one of my favorite subjects … large-format photography, which is taken using those “old-fashioned” bellows cameras.

Only these cameras allow you to position the film plane independently of the lens plane. Only these cameras allow you to use the Scheimpflug principle to correct “converging line” problems like this.

Try using the orthographic projection and making sure that your camera plane is perpendicular to the plane of the object being “photographed.” You may still have distortion issues.

to use a long lens of the inside of a room, do what they have done in hollywood since the beginning - cut away a wall.

In real life, you would most likely get a bit of a ‘cushion’ effect with a lens like this. You can achieve the same in Blender by turning on Pano rendering.
If you want to have the lines straight(er), you could use a ‘tilt/shift’-lens. It works like the bellows as described by sundialsvc4. Blender internal renderer is afaik not capable of doing this, but I do believe some external renderer (Yafaray maybe? Or Luxrender?) does support tilt/shifting.
Or just change the rotation of your camera so it is absolutely horizontal, looking straight ahead. Move it up/down for framing. You should get parallel vertical lines.