Camera setup for *180* degree VR rendering?

Been scouring the Internet for any information whatsoever on the topic of rendering for 180 degree stereoscopic rather than 360 degree stereoscopic. I’ve got all the fundamentals of stereoscopic rendering in general down; views enabled, output set to side-by-side, all that. I’ve gotten something pretty close to what I want using the panoramic fisheye equidistant camera set to 180 degrees, but there’s some warping of the image still. I tried looking for technical information on the lenses used in VR 180 cameras, but couldn’t find much. The latest thing I’m trying, though I haven’t had a lot of time to play with it yet, is trying to make sense of the information on the human eye’s field of view found here and apply it in the panoramic fisheye equisolid camera.

It’s not even strictly important to me that the full 180 degrees of view be available, honestly. Depth realism is the most important factor to me, and why 360 degree video doesn’t interest me very much. I’m working with the Oculus Go, and basically, I want to recreate whatever projection methods that the Oculus Unity plugin uses to give an actual 1:1 sense of depth, even if there’s no head movement capability whatsoever, and I want it to be playable through apps like Oculus Gallery and VeeR.

Can anyone offer some insight?

So I believe I’ve gotten pretty close to what I need with these settings (all non-mentioned left at default):

Properties
    Render
        Output
           Dimensions
               Resolution
                   X -> 1920
                   Y -> 1080
           Views Format
               Stereo 3D -> Selected
                   Stereo Mode
                       Side-by-side -> Selected
    Render Layers
       Views
            Stereo 3D -> Selected
                Left -> Enabled
                Right -> Enabled
    Camera
        Lens
            Panoramic -> Selected
                Type -> Fisheye Equidistant
                Field of View -> 90 degrees
       Stereoscopy
           Toe-in -> Selected
           Spherical Stereo -> Selected

I believe my resolution should actually be a direct 2:1 ratio, and that might mean tweaking the field of view option a bit, but I’m mid-render, and my test stills looked good enough to not worry about it for now. It should only be off by a few degrees if anything.

I am playing back on Oculus Gallery for the Oculus Go using 180 3D projection.

There is some light warping around the far edges and heavy warping at 12:00 and 6:00 during playback, which I believe could be mitigated by giving some top margins and chopping some off the sides to make a convex box sort of shape, based on what I see in the most successful VR 180 video I have on my HMD. Have not worked with this yet.

2 Likes

Hi, and sorry for digging out this older thread…

Came here for the VR180 but now have another question regarding the provided “settings” text block - Did you manually typed them or is there an easy way to copy/export settings (hierarchy) to a structured text format?

TL;DR: Looking for a way to enrich my blender journey with my own annotations in Markdown / text format. So when I document certain settings I type them like so “Object Data Properties” -> “Normals” -> “Auto Smooth”: “On”

Thanks!
Dan