Can I automatically match the movement of my 3D animation to my stop-motion footage?

Hey, everyone. I’ve been working on my stop-motion project and added some extra CGI to it. One of these additions was an animated face of a minifigure created in Blender. I’ve prepared the same model as the reference and animated the face accordingly. However, I’ve encountered a problem with overlaying this animation onto my reference footage. I already know that I can remove the face from the reference using DaVinci Resolve and then place the animated head on top of it as an overlay. But to do this, I need to recreate the movement of the object (the face) in the reference footage. I can do this manually, frame by frame, by replicating every motion, but I have so many takes to do. I was wondering if it’s possible to track the movement (not face, but head) of the reference footage and somehow apply it to my 3D model, in order to avoid manual adjustments. Thanks for your help.

maybe you can try to track the head using blender tracker
if this your workflow . maybe it could be better to not have the face (eyes and mouth) in the stop motion shooting, but a organized markers in a grid like like shape on the cylinder of the face with will make the tracking easier. but it can still work

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like