Can i duplicate a Hallway, join on end of current hall at 45deg as a continuous (render in post)?

Im new to Blender (and modeling), sorry if im not using the correct terminology.

Here is the render/model in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLf0lAGD8WM

I created this hall following Ducky 3D’s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFGNNbNMvg how-to. It has a few cubes and some NurbsPath’s.

I would like to make a copy of current hall and place that copy on the end at a 45deg angle (or 90deg). Ive tried this by placing the copy at the end having the outer corners touching each other so there is no gaps, then tried to use the knife tool ( K ) and cut out the over lapping inner walls. It worked to a degree, but does not seam like the correct way to do this. Also tried to add a Boolean Modifier, but could not get that to work at all.

Any help or proper keywords i can use to search with would be great…
Using Blender 2.8
Thanks…

Might be worth having a look at the Shear tool for this. If an end set of edges or face is selected the Shear tool will allow the angel to be changes to 45 or 90 degrees. I usually do this in the top down view.

Thanks for the suggestion. The end result is not what im looking for, which could be the result of me not using the tool correctly. I would like to cut the end of the hall at a 45, rather then “stretch”. How i used the tool you’ll notice the top rungs of the ceiling also moved on the 45 (cool effect, but not what im after).

This is a good use case for the Mirror modifier with mirror object and bisect options. When using mirror object, you can rotate it 45 degrees to effectively turn symmetry at a 90 degree angle, and the bisect option will cut the geometry as necessary for you. Since you have multiple objects, you’d need to do it once per each object (but you can use the same single mirror object for all the modifiers).

Sample file here:
hallway_90deg.blend (395.2 KB)

You can move the Empty along (in this case) global X or Y axes to change where exactly, in relation to your geometry, the turn occurs.
But you’ll also see that the results are visually not all that appealing. Usually for this specific purpose dedicated corner pieces are modeled.

1 Like

Thank’s so much, Stan_Pancakes.
I posted this question in a few places and got two different approaches which i tried and had a bit of success with.
The first was from this post and it was to make a dup, align, and use the Bridge Edge Loops (which i could not get to work, my screen record of the editing or use the Spin Tool, which i was able to get working (round corner, not a 45).

And the second approach was with your Mirror suggestion, which i was able to get working (thanks for the help and example file).

By no means did my final out come achieve a full success (my own doing), but did learn alot and im posting this final render in-case others can learn from these posts.
Heres the out come, the first corner is done with Mirror Modifier at a 45deg, second corner with Spin Tool
Final result: https://youtu.be/4gQE8gPcMJA

Thanks again.

1 Like

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

The Bridge Edge Loops only works inside one Mesh object, it won’t bridge between different objects. So to try that you either need to join the two pieces into one object, or, say, separate both loops and then join only those, before bridging them.

Funny you say that. After the hallway model, i was trying to get a grasp on that tool so i started a simple model, a glass bottle. Made acouple circles (at first each circle was its own object) and tried that tool, same error, then made a bunch be of circles in the same object via edit mode and the tool worked.

What do you mean by, “separate both loops and then join only those, before bridging” ?

After you select the loops in edit mode, you can separate them. This will create new objects, one per source object, containing just the loops. Then, in object mode, you can select these new objects and join them. So you’ll have one Mesh objects containing the loops, which you can then enter edit mode on and bridge those loops.