Can I get Blender NOT to overwrite my renders?

In the output, I set a render directory relative to the project - but my problem is that it always renders under the same name and does not warn me about overwriting…

Is there a way to avoid this?
(A simple confirmation dialogue would do nicely - if not an appended number like Windows)

Thanks!

Disable Overwrite here …?

Disabling the Overwrite doesn’t really notify you of it skipping all the files though. So if you don’t know, it would just render the whole sequence, without saving anything.

That also sucks … but @Okidoki , if I am not mistaken this is for saving images, no? A render to MP4 will not be affected, right? (I saw that option in the manual, but didn’t have it available when rendering)

Thanks!

Well… yeah… that’s what happens when you don’t overwrite. If you don’t want to overwrite existing files, I don’t really understand why it’s a bad thing that this option doesn’t overwrite existing files?

@Laserschwert : My Blender 3.6.8 under linux is telling me for ever existing frame… and for this rendering nothing… :

skipping existing frame “/tmp/… .png”

@Yogimeister:

Well… if you want to save some already made renders… then you have to save (backup) them… :person_shrugging:

Yup, I’m adapting to the workflow :wink:

For me - I want a warning.

It’s more than common that I’ll start a new scene, by opening an existing and then turning it into something else.

Unfortunately, at some point in “new scene” i hit Render to check something and completely forgot that i had a full comp set up, which has active output nodes. Now I’ve just overwritten something that I rendered 2 weeks ago (and still need for a project.)

(awesome, now let’s track down what I just ruined, open the original scene and render it again)

It’s happened a lot. So the choice becomes:

1. Just never forget, and ALWAYS check the compositor the moment I open every scene, before rendering. (Which is what I do now, if i don’t forget).

2. Always have “overwrite” disabled, until I finally want to render. Which risks rendering 300 files, none of which are saved, if I forget to turn it back on. A warning of “FILES WILL NOT BE SAVED” popup would be nice…

3. To prevent 300 renders not being saved, I have to go back to Step 1.

None of that is user-friendly in production. When I’m in AE or Premiere, and start at render - it CHECKS the destination and says “WHOA, you sure you want to do this?” Wish Blender was considerate like that.

1 Like