Can I import (convert) MikuMikuDance's effect to Blender?

Hello everyone,

As the title said, is there a way to import or convert MMD’s effect to Blender (not the object/mesh/character because MMD tool can do that well enough). Blender has cloth simulation, and MMD has shaders that Blender doesn’t. In other words I need MMD shading but with the ability in the animation of Blender. Not to modify every single object’s material but just by a click.

Thank you.

With Eevee, yes. See https://github.com/powroupi/blender_mmd_tools/issues/245 . Looks like the download link is still live. Read the text notes. It was just a proof of concept, expect bugs. Created by translating the HLSL into nodes. (With Cycles too, but it’s a pain, involving a lot of compositing.)

That’s the default shader, btw-- it sounds like you’re interested in other effects as well. There is no automatic way to convert HLSL to nodes, and not all effects can be translated (Blender needs derivatives nodes and miplevel selection, and even then, you couldn’t do loops without unrolling them.) If you want to convert an arbitrary effect, you need to read the HLSL.

1 Like

Thank you. Seems like it’s a nice temporary solution for now, since I’m not gonna try all the MMD effects out there. Though, there are still a dozen of effect files I need to use. And still, need to modify (a lot) the nodes of that guy’s composition setting.

Scripting replacing the texture nodes would be worthwhile. Even with the time spent learning how to script, it would be worthwhile.

But if all you want is cloth physics, then it seems like a bit of a waste to render in Blender, which is vastly slower than MMD. Look at https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/51230/cloth-bake-save-frames-in-timeline-as-shape-key to get started on baking cloth frames to shapekeys. (You can set up a script to animate the shapekeys and export to MMD.)

It’s also possible to combine MMD and Blender renders for certain effects. In MMD, a rendered object is mostly just a set of normals, a set of depths in both view and shadow buffer, a set of UVs. You can make these passes in Blender and convert to animated .png for use in customized effects to composite inside MMD. Or, you can make specialized effects to render a depth buffer pass from MMD in order to composite in Blender.

1 Like

Ah yes, shapekeys. Didn’t think of it. I haven’t been using shapekeys. Thank you.

The 2nd solution seems to be a bit more complicated.