Can I make this look good without starting from scratch?

Hello.
I’ve been using Blender for a few days now and I’m really enjoying it!
I have seen a few tutorials and made the same thing that they were making in the video. After a while I moved on to creating something on my own, of course googling if there is something I need to know.
I first started out with trying to make a revolver but after having some problems I put that to the side for now.

Instead I’m trying to make a Thompson 1928 (Not sure why I’ve chosen only guns so far, it’s just fun I guess). I think it’s just detailing it left now.
But before doing that I thought I’d do a quick render and see how it looks, so I applied “Subdivision surface” to a few different parts to make it look better and I found that it’s very hard to get it looking good in many places.
It must be because of the way I have modeled it. Though I don’t know what I am doing wrong/If I’m doing anything wrong.

I would really appreciate it if somebody would want to take a look at it and tell me if I’m doing anything terribly wrong, It’s better to find out about that sooner rather than later.

If this happen to be the worst thing you’ve ever seen I just want to defend myself by saying that I have no previous experience with 3D modeling prior to starting with Blender a few days ago… :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance!

Removed attachment

I think I know what to do now.

If you like the shape already and want to make it more more manageable here is one approach you could take.

I’ve had a go at the front handle thingy. I am sure it has a more technical name. Have a close look at the modifiers on new handle object.

This is just one of many ways to do it but you can define the shape with fewer vertices and let the subsurf do the job for you.

Thompnewhandle.blend (1.1 MB)

Hope it helps.