Can not select Bones in 2.8

Even using Left click or right click configuration to select, bones can NOT be selected for CPU I3 i5 3th 4th generation without external graphics card. Only the root bone can be selected. One bone, extrude couple of times, the only the first one is select-able. Only using the lasso tool can be selected but no to deactivate. Valid for Edit and Pose mode…

Hi, I work with bones today, no problem.
We need a .blend for testing.

Cheers, mib

Are you using v2.80.75 or a older beta version. I have to ask because I had that problem…

Hi, bone select work with official Blender 2.80 and 2.81 from today in Pose and Edit mode with your file.

Opensuse Tumbleweed x86_64
CPU i7-3520M 8 GB
GPU Intel HD4000
xf86-video-intel 2.99.917-6.1
KDE Plasma 5.59.0-1.1
Vivaldi: 2.7.1609.4 (Official Build) snapshot (64-bit)

Cheers, mib

Excellent choice. :ok_hand:

Easy, killer! Yeah, I know it works! :laughing: I was asking @harris3d which version he was using! As I said, I had that problem.

Ooops, not reading correctly.

@ThinkingPolygons, it getting better and better.

Cheers, mib

Hello guys, I am using the latest 2.8 as August-06-2019 From Blender Website. Still same problem, exactly as gotomorrow said

I can’t select any bones in an armature (except for the first bone created!) using the Select tool, either in Edit or Pose Mode. I can select only the tails of bones using Circle Select tool. I can select only entire bones in the Outliner. I can select entire bones or just tails using Lasso Select. What is going on?!

The only work around is displaying the bones in WIRE then I can select them with no problems. However if I chose OCTA, BOX, ENVELOP then they can NOT be selected…using latest Official 2.8 release…

Have you reported this as a bug? (Help Menu > Report a Bug)

I noticed that it was reported on July 30-2019. So I just added the following note:
Exact same problem here ! Intel I3-3220, internal HD Graphics, 8GB DDR3. A work around this problem:
Display the bones in WIRE mode, then they can be selected without problems. If OCTA,ENVELOP, BOX is choosen then they CAN NOT be selected.
Other workaround this that works in POSE only: Using SHAPES ( Custom Bones ) , bones that have custom shapes can be selected. However in Edit mode there is not custom shape representation, so problem persists. Best OPTION: Display as wires and add custom bones to all bones in the armature.
Obviously this does not happen in 2.79b and before,
Regards !

For what it is worth, I don’t see this bug.

I have a different computer and graphics configuration. So I think it might be related to some graphics cards perhaps?

Usually - just as something worth noting in general - integrated graphics cards are very poor performers for 3D.

I am using the official 2.8 release. (not daily build)

Yes I know that…but why it does not happen with 2.79b ? Not even former releases ? Even the viewport playback is way slower than 2.79b. Same system, 2.79b Max FPS 60 ! Blender 2.8 Max 18 FPS ! I think there is some bug somewhere. Thinking in buying a Video Card, however it seems 2.8 performs slower ( Viewport ) than 2.79. Based in all what I have read.

I don’t know the answer. I am just reporting. It is not an issue on all cards. And that should be considered a valid input of data.

Also viewport performance may or may not be related. So I would not lump that in with this. Could be two different issues.

A completely separate issue is your choice of - or lack of choice - of a graphics card.

Any graphics card - even a low end - is going to be better than integrated. So I would address that separately on your system regardless - if you are doing anything with 3D.

I downloaded 2.81 today 08-07-2019 and the FPS playback now plays correctly “in my i3 System” ! That is great !
The selecting bone problem ( for my system ) still continues, good news, they are aware of this issue. All good.