can u autosmooth vertice positions

Is there a way to smooth a mesh by averaging out the spacing of each of its vertices?

Also, is it possible to assign a UV mesh of one object to another duplicate object?

I’m thinking in terms of uv mapping of human faces.

1. Isn’t it what constrained resize (with S-KEY and CTRL+mouse) is for? If not, then I don’t understand your question, sorry…

2. If you uvmaped your face model, and then duplicate it, then it’s straightforward and you have nothing else to do than pushing the ‘uv’ buttons in the material properties and choosing the right uvmap. If you first duplicated it and then made the UV assignments, then you should look for / write a python script that copies UV assignment from one model to another… But I’m not sure to understand you question this second time, too…

Hope this helps anyway

i didn’t mean a contrained resize. what i had in mind was modifying the actual geometry by averaging out the spacing so that the mesh is flatter, making uvmapping slightly easier for areas on a head like the nose and eyes. then this uv mapping could be copied and pasted to a duplicate of the head before it was modified.

i read that Maya can do this.

hope this is clearer :slight_smile:

In edit mode select all and smooth (W-10 or Smooth in Mesh Tools)

%<

thanks, (don’t know how i missed that in the menu!) are there still the same number of vertices on the mesh once it is smoothed and is there a way of counting the number of vertices on a mesh?

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean, fligh is right, you just hit the smooth button in edit mode. You have to select all your vertices first, of course. As for copying UVs, I don’t know off hand a script that does that or if Blender can do it but you could just smooth your original model, project the UVs and then undo the smoothing. That’s what I do. It saves a lot of hassle of duplicating, moving, smoothing, projecting, copying UVs, deleting. All you do is smooth, project, unsmooth.

Vert count won’t change until (and if) you remove doubles and the mesh/obj data is in the top-right corner of the main header (click menu hider arrow at left).

%<

sounds like a simple solution. after unsmoothing it doesn’t seem to retain the uv projection though.

I usually use RVKs in conjunction with smooth for uv mapping (never used Undo for it)
just create a “base key” by hitting i in edit mode, then smooth, hit i again, etc. make sure you create a key for each edit you want to keep, or you’ll just change the selected ones. then (out of edit mode) select your smoothed key, facekey, uvmap, rinse repeat. When you’re done you can erase all the keys, do the base key last.
btw, you can view, select your rvks in an ipo window, in vertex mode.
I’m gonna try undo though- if it preservs uv mapping it’ll be a real time saver.

great stuff!

You’re right, the UV mapping does undo when you undo the smooth. That shouldn’t happen, is that a bug in Blender? When you project UVs onto vertices, it shouldn’t matter if they change position in 3d space later. I suppose they would use this method in Maya too if it was possible, though. maybe it’s an implementation thing.

slikdigit’s method seems to be the quickest way that works. I never thought of doing it that way before. Good suggestion. He’s right, though that it would be a big timesaver if the undo didn’t revert the UV mapping.

UV coordinates are stored in the mesh data. Undo reverts to previous versions of the mesh data. Therefore, undo reverts to previous version of the UV coordinates. Not a bug. If you do it like Slikdigit suggested, it works quite well.

Martin

Ah, I see, thanks theeth. I thought undo just undid the vertex transforms not replace the whole mesh. Is there a reason why it’s implemented like this? I wouldn’t have thought that reverting the UVs along with the mesh would have been beneficial - in fact the opposite. After all, when you go the other way i.e. when you project UVs onto a model and then smooth, the UVs are retained.