Can VSE and Node Editor be used together?

The Node Editor and the Materials context in the Properties window pass values back and forth so a change in one is reflected in the other.

Can the Node Editor and the VSE be used together in the same manner? I tried making two Movie Clip nodes in the Node Editor, combining them with and Alpha Over node and routing the output to a Composite node. Pressing F12 rendered a nice dissolve.

Then I opened up the VSE, hoping to find a few video strips in the editor, but I found nothing.

Next, I pulled a video strip into the VSE. If I was in a portion of the timeline where there was a strip then that strip got rendered, the strips in the Node Editor did not. If I was not in a portion of the timeline where there was a strip then nothing got rendered, the strips in the Node Editor did not.

I played with the settings in the post processing panel of the Render context. Checking Composite did render the Node Editor compositing. Checking Sequence did render the VSE output. Checking both did render the VSE output.

So it appears that the two functions duplicate each other, but do not function together. Is this correct, or is there some small switch that I’m missing that brings them into a common use?

Unfortunately no, it’s one of those things that users have been clamouring for over the years but keep getting told that it’s neither possible nor desirable…

The output from the compositor node editor can be used in the sequencer but the output from the sequencer cannot be used in the compositor

Thanks.

So, load the node editor output into the VSE as the Scene, correct?