Can you bake a uv texture?

So this is the story:

I created a texture, and was unable to make it size correctly in materials. So I baked it to a plane, then saved the texture and used it for my uv texture.

Then I grabbed all the verts in uv editor and scaled them up and rotated them to give the correct angle and size.

It looks Perfect!

But I still need to add more to it in a paint program.

I dont know how to bake it so I can save the texture?

I did try using the texture on the model itself, but the texture gets distorted on some of the planes, and cannot be rotated, well maybe it can, but I cant figure it out.

Also, I tried saving it in a .png and scaling it in a photoshop, but I lose the details.

I have tried using the size to scale the material texture itself, but find it will not go smaller. anything over a -20, just makes it bigger again?

Thanks for the help… File

ok, so you manually did what the Map Input SizeXYZ do (and if the image isnt centered, what the OfsXYZ do).

Well, you kinda already have. Render Bake takes a procedural texture and creates a square image that is used as the UV Texture. But u already have the UV Texture. I guess you could Bake that to yet another UV Image, then go back and use the new image as the texture. That would allow you to layer,say 5 images, as textures and collapse them down to one single image. (you would use the condensed single image instead of the 5, speeding up rendertime).

That is the issue with UV image mapping, called stretching most commonly, and is solved by unmapping those faces, or mapping a different texture over them, or distorting the UV map so that the pixels line up.

I guess you could Bake that to yet another UV Image, then go back and use the new image as the texture. That would allow you to layer,say 5 images, as textures and collapse them down to one single image. (you would use the condensed single image instead of the 5, speeding up rendertime).

I dont know how to to do that? How do I bake the uv texture the way it is asigned to the uv now?

Bake what I see on my model?

As I said the sizing didnt work. I needed the texture to be smaller, but it wouldnt go smaller than -20. But doing it in the uv image editor worked to resize the texture.

Thank you.

Hi Ititrx
I had a problem in texturing which is solved. See this thread.
I hope if you experiment with my problem, your problem will be solved.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108268

i think smaller is closer to zero, not negative. negative flips the texture over. so like .001 instead of 1.000

To bake, you just create a new UVTex (see Mutiple Textures) and then, for the blank one, bake your render to it.

i think.

Shoot, didnt think about negative flipping it…

You know, when I was playing with it, I just kept going more neg, and the texture kept getting smaller and smaller, until I hit the 20 + point and it popped back up to the large scale again…

I will play with it today.

The multiple uv textures is a weird thing, in MHO. Smile. What I thought the final image you saw was based on how they were stacked and what showed through the top.

But I am using them on my newest model, and well, it doesnt seem to work like I thought, actually, I know its me not them.

Ok, thanks again.

Updated:

Ok, so I was being silly. I dont know what I was doing when I first made this texture. or why I couldnt get the scale right.

But today, I just typed in the numbers and wam, it was right! I did notice that often when I thought I was typing in the number I wasnt really. Meaning I didnt really have it highlighted to use.

Now in this instance, the larger the positive/negative number, the smaller the visual scale is.

I just thought going on the neg would scale smaller and vise versa. What was I thinking, lol.:spin:

This is the first procedural I have done, without following a tut, or playing with one from the repository. And I was so shocked when I added the last texture and it looked like denim fabric.

How cool is that I said to self. Then I started thinking about making chorduroy, its back in season again.

Anyway, now I can donate this to the repository, if I can find it again.

cool. glad we could help. i think. (smile)