Can you rotate the mirror line of mirror modifier?

In max you can rotate the mirror line of a symmetry, with this you can get some quick modelling done with. This is especially effective if you “forget” to model a certain part of your mesh and want to make it symmetrical. Can you do the same in Blender?

Here’s an example from Max:

make symmetric object

Select the mirror line and rotate it

Result

I am not following your images but you can use an empty as the mirror object and then select it in the modifier, and then rotate that.

…but don’t forget to enable the “Bisect” option in the modifier as well to actually get the Max behavior, otherwise the modifier won’t cut away extra geometry.

Does anybody else get extremely problematic results when trying to using the bisect feature of the mirror modifier? For instance, geometry artifacts, or just plain mirror failure?

Haven’t seen such.

In the images, instead of rotating the object or selecting an axis to mirror on. I am rotating the mirror line (pivot of the symmetry modifier), thus i am changing the angle of the mirror resulting in a mesh in the last image.

Do you also know if you can rotate the mirror “line” of the mirror modifier in Blender?
Is it also based upon the origin point rotation as it is for the position?

Like @a59303 said, use the Mirror Object property of the modifier. That is, create another object and set that as a Mirror Object. Then you can position and rotate that object to define symmetry center and direction.

Mirror.blend (555.6 KB)

2 Likes

aah nice, didn’t know about “empties”, this whole new workflow in blender is still something i have to get used to.

In 3ds max terms it’s Dummy

And you actually can use any other object - geometry, lights, curves - whatever the hell has transform coordinated. With the empties it’s just more convenient, since it’s used just for that and doesn’t have any additional functions, than assigned.

Yup. One nice advantage of using other objects for these kinds of things is that those objects are of course subject to all other functions, like animation, parenting to mesh vertices, etc. The disadvantage is, of course, more cumbersome UI.

1 Like

Never used dummy helpers in max, perhaps that’s why I didn’t think of it :slight_smile: