can you think in 3d?

I remember from my flight test and what my friend went through in air force they test you heavily on your 3d orientation skill.

I didn’t use to be able to manipulate objects in my head in 3D. But I practiced and practiced because I knew that this is an important skill. They say the best engineers and inventors can visualize a machine working in their head before they even build it.

It’s fun to manipulate 3D images in your head.

When I first started doing it, I could hardly keep one object in my head for more than a second or two before it would start morphing into something else. My imagination would just run away. Now I can put objects on my mental stage and manipulate them all day long any way I want to.

The thing that I’m working on nowadays is getting better at visualizing small details.

It’s also fun to try and recreate the other senses like hearing and taste. Try to recreate a whole life experience in your head, like when you dream.

“But I practiced and practiced because I knew that this is an important skill. They say the best engineers and inventors can visualize a machine working in their head before they even build it.”

This is true this is an essential skill - but I still sketch a lot as well before I even go into a 3D app.

sometimes when i see a person with a weird shaped nose i think… probably some triangles… or when i see a car with nice sharp edges i think… nice edge loops… lol… that just means that i spend to much time in blender though :stuck_out_tongue: but yes i can think in 3d… i didnt know some people cant…

Well, personally I don’t think it’s anything strictly to do with using blender that causes people to do this. You can assume correlation, but not causation. My spatial recognition has always been high, way before I started messing with blender. Maybe it’s quite the opposite way and that people with a high spatial recognition ability are more apt to become 3d artists, just a thought.

Vali, that’s really… ignorant… Animals do not see in 2d, in fact there are animals with eyes that are developed a lot more than our own and that have way better eye sight than us. Assuming humanity is superior to everything is very oblivious. Technologically, we are, not so much in every other way. You’re seriously the worst troll on the internet.

You’re seriously the worst troll on the internet.

hey, let’s not start this again, the Mods are already discussing the possibility of shutting down the Off-Topic section, and I personally don’t want that to happen :expressionless:

Agreed, sorry.

I figure that anyone capable of throwing a ball with some degree of accuracy can at least to some extent think in 3d. That is a fairly vague answer.

@bartric - lol, just trying to save another thread from spontaneous combustion :slight_smile:

@Sandrew - well, yeah… but the thing is the question was slightly vague as well, I’m still not sure if the OP meant thinking in 3D like we see in 3D or to be able to manipulate 3D objects in your head like you would in Blender…hmm

Some fishes only see the world in 2D. All animals that can see in 3D can think and imagine 3D. It’s a rediculous statement to say that they can’t. And regarding the closing down of this forum, it’s amazing that a forum full of overeducted morons can become so incredible butthurt when they are faced with flawless logic that they flame and troll til the point of their beloved gods (The moderators). Decides that this forum has no purpose.

I’ll just say that if this forum gets closed down. It’s all our faults, especially Cekhuen’s since it was he who stared to flame with the flamethrower in the first place. Everything I have said have been a response to his racist views and arrogance. Or to his accusations of me being what he is…it’s quite rediculous really. Time to sharp up overeducated morons!

c’mon Vali, let’s not start this again…

…we probably all have a bit of the blame, but that doesn’t mean we have to keep at it…

Completely unrelated but I am so glad that I do not know you or have to know you personally.

That is all.

edit; I also apologise to the OP for this post as it could have easily set off a flamewar.

I take offense to that and have reported your obvious flame. I will ignore you, but I hope the moderators takes action. I wouldn’t like to know you either judging from you avatar.

(An eye for an eye)!!

well, Vali, the “eye for an eye” thing is what starts flame-wars in the first place…and most wars around the world for that matter (edit - maybe an over-statement, but…)

I can indeed think in 3D.

I think that working in 3D so much have slightly damaged my mind because wherever I go I can instantly see all objects around me in wireframe :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m still working on it. I keep running into walls, and other things that seem to be in front of me.

Someone needs to take their meds, or get back into therapy, or something…

That’s why everyone thinks in three dimensions. No exception.

Here is a list of what it is not:

• It’s not a software
  • It’s not magic that you make you see what’s on the other side
  • It’s not a wireframe
  • It’s not specular shading

Everyone thinks in width, height and depth. Also add time factor in that equation.

I dont think in planes like a computer does, in fact no human could do that because the computer focuses on all of the vertices and faces, humans cant process things that fast. I sometimes have trouble with detail like the wrinkles on the face etc. when I focus on the details everything else but the object im thinking about fades away.
any way please dont ruin my thread guys and gals no flame wars.

edit: I wonder if the minds eye is the 6th sense?

thats true I never thought of that, I can through a ball pretty well and usually hit what I want it to, catching a ball would be a little bit more accurate explaination in my oppinion though if you think about it.

My uncle (he’s a karate master) told me he is able to visualize how a person will react and what his/her next move will be in his head before it happens, this is a prediction of corse he cant like read palms. hes also extremaly dislexic. Im ADHD i wonder if that would help me visualize things in my head better. Ive been able to do it since I could remember, but I have trouble with basic things like remembering what I had for breakfast this morning and stuff like that.