Canister Stove practice

Hello, this is my first post on BA, this is also my first time sharing my 3d work, i recently been practicing higher fidelity pieces and would like as much criticism as possible.

One thing im aware of is i rushed the Hex screws a little bit that attach the support arms and they just look like rivets.
Another thing is i struggled finding label information, and creating it. but this is a practice piece so it’s not perfectly accurate and im okay with that.
I didn’t optimize the mesh at all.

That being said im really just looking to overall improve my quality of work and im open to all criticism. thank you. :slight_smile:

A “product” shot after Sundialsvc Critique :slight_smile: what a great piece of information! thank you

Your initial modeling of “the article, itself” spares no attention to detail! (Except that I’ve never owned an ‘MSR backpacking stove’ quite like that … so I’ll omit all comments about that.)

You might wish to consider the camera angle: I’ve never looked at my stove from the side.

But, it is obvious that you have paid very careful attention to the fine details of – for example – the dimensions and shape of the actual product’s gas-canister, and how it is printed.

Now that you have this delightfully-detailed model, a possible exercise would be to visit actual websites which feature “this actual product,” and try to now re-create any of those “actual product shots,” as closely as possible, using 3D.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words, its encouraging.

i also appreciate bringing up camera shots and angles, as ive been so focused on making nice models and textures i havent done anything to my camera work, that is much appreciated!

I don’t know exactly what level of accuracy you were aiming for, but I’d say you’ve simplified quite a few things.
The red block isn’t a simple box, the gold part to adjust the flame has a lot of machining, the articulation of the arms is much more complex and most obvious; there are 3 holes in the central tube.
That said, it’s easy to recognise the model :slightly_smiling_face:

Capture d’écran 2024-04-03 à 10.00.31

2 Likes

But, I’d suggest to the OP to “simply start with the model you now have,” and see how you can change the presentation of it. Without actually worrying – right now – if it actually represents the thing that you might actually buy at an outdoor store.

Some of the best ideas for “product shots” come from actual(!) product catalogs – and, these days of course, places like “images dot google.” Look for images which try to "set the product into a setting." Then, instead of trying to literally replicate what those photographers did, become a product-photographer yourself … and, have fun doing it.

1 Like