Cannot get Edit Mode of Rig to Line up with Object/Pose Mode

This is driving me nuts. I think it is an IK problem, but for the life of me, I can’t find it.

I have a variation of the Mr Biped rig that Nathan showed in the Humane rigging DVD. I made some changes because my mesh character only has three fingers. I line everything up in edit mode, and it looks fine:

But when I go to pose mode the arm pops out of the mesh.

This is usually some IK target off, but here’s the thing: I have the IK/FK switch set to FK mode… so I can’t figure out why the IK target should even matter. But I copied the setting, and the rotation and the roll of each of the three bones (i.e. hand, ik.hand, and fk.hand are identical in all ways) and still I get the pop when I move to pose mode (or object mode).

Any ideas of what I have done to myself?

I suppose that’s a 3-way rig (constrained Deform > FK > IK or Deform > FK or IK). You have something out between a Def bone and its FK bone somewhere up the line. Probably bone roll. It may be in the shoulder or down in the spine somewhere if both arms are going out. That’s what it looks like from the pics anyway.

I built a skeleton with separate bones for every vertabrae not too long ago. I spent a whole 10hr day analyzing and tweaking on that thing. A minute difference in roll between a Def bone and it’s Fk and IK bones way down in the spine was magnified greatly up in the arms. Looked just like your pics.

It wasn’t just the Def FK IK either. Each bone had parents for that spine control rigging as Nathan taught. It was a pain in the buttocks to fix. Was good troubleshooting experience tho. Eyeballing it wasn’t good enough since a minute difference was magnified down the chain. After some hours of easter-egging it (I got close but still no good) I ended up going through the whole thing lining up all the bones from the base of the spine all the way through the shoulders. Mostly with Ctrl-N align to active bone. That was the way to go.

Edit: Lots of snapping cursors and bones too. Snapped to perfection then Ctrl-N. Tedious work no doubt.

Anyway, that’s my story. :slight_smile: Hope this helps.

-LP

Larry, Thanks!

I figured it was something like that, but I thought I had every bone aligned (Even copied and pasted the bone roll). I guess I missed something somewhere along the line.

Meh. That’s what I get for trying to repurpose someone else’s rig, I guess… at this point, it will be faster just to build it from scratch myself. I already have hours invested in checking bone properties…

Thanks for confirming my suspicions!