Can't find blender?

I hope this is in the right place.

I’m a beginner and have downloaded previous versions of blender (2.45 and 2.48), but never really messed with them much. I had not had internet so it was difficult for me to stay updated on tutorials and such. I recently got internet and decided to dedicate more time to learning Blender and tried to download 2.5. After downloading, I could not find it, but when I clicked on the short cut icon, the first black screen that comes up said it located it and was bringing it up. But it couldn’t. The Blender screen that comes up next got a message that said something like “unknown file” or something like that. It then brought up 2.48. After reading more about 2.5 and its current issues, I decided to download 2.49b instead because I felt that it would be easier for me to learn with a program that is not still in developmental stages with bugs. I still can’t find it. I tried downloading the zip file first and after not locating it, I tried downloading the other option. Still can’t find it. What’s the difference between the 2 options and should I delete my other previous versions of Blender for it to run? I don’t know if my pc is not able to support 2.49, or something else. I don’t know what to do. Any advice?

If I am able find it and get it working I will need tutorials (preferably video or documents that I can download). Can anybody suggest good tutorials for beginners with 2.49?

Thanks in advance.

run a search for blender.exe
also, check to see where your web browser is saving downloads
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5229/saveij.jpg

try the wikibook blender 3d: noob to pro, for a good start in blender

You can’t find the downloaded files?

It’ll be located in a downloaded folder somewhere, check your browser preferences for where this location will be.

Inside the downloaded ZIP files there will be a file called blender.exe, double clicking this will open up blender, if 2.45/ 8 worked so should 2.49 and 2.50.

need to know your operating system (vistal, xp, mac , linux etc…) to be sure. i am going to assume windows since that is the most common and assume vista did you unzip the zipped files before trying to run them? you need to unzip them if you need an unzipping itility i like 7zip because it handles zip and rar files. http://www.7-zip.org/ .

if you have a 32 bit os you cant run 64bit programs even if you have a 64 bit processor, if you are unsure if you have a 64 bit os you almost surely have the 32 bit. if you use the msi which i believe is what you ment by “other version” dont go with the default settings, it will put your scripts folder in a hidden file. the easiest way is to download a zipped version, unzip it, open it and right click on the blender sex and send or copy a shortcut to your desk top.

download the 2.49b version. if you want a good beginner tutorial go here http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html and click on learning units then work thru them. it’ll let you get the modeling basics down. also watch the video tutorials, many of them cover stuff not in the learning units.

and if you saved blender to the default location in windows hit the start button, your user name should be on the top right of the menu that pops up, click on it. that will open up another window with folders in it, double click on the downloads folder and it should be in there. right click on the blender zip and choose unzip here, that will create a new blender folder that is unzipped. open that and you’ll see two blender logos one is blender the other is blender player. you want the plain blender. right click on the plain blender one and a menu will pop up, click on “send to” and one of the options will be desktop which will put a blender logo on you screen you can click on to open it, or you can choose “pin to start menu” and it’ll be put on the menu that pops up when you hit the start button.

also if you are on xp you probably need to instal the vcruntime http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA9257CA-337F-4B40-8C14-157CFDFFEE4E

Thanks Daniel and Spacetug. I found both versions. I’m going to use 2.49 and had to download a newer Python and something else for Windows. C++ something or other. It’s up and running now. I have to go to work now so I’ll play around with it when I get home tonight. :yes:

Rdo3, I’ll read your post when I get home. I don’t have time right now. Sorry, got to go.

Another great place for when you get used to the layout is

It’s helped me move on in Blender in leaps and bounds I couldn’t have done earlier

Thanks for that info rdo3. Sorry I couldn’t read your post at the time. I was in the process of either locating the downloaded Blender on my PC and upgrading what I needed to to get it running, or I was responding the previous posts. I’m in the process right now of going through the Gus tutorial from the Wikibook link that Spacetug provided.

Thanks for the link. I have most of those tutorials but I see that there are new ones.

Manga, I’ll check out your link too.

Thanks guys. I have to finish Gus now. I don’t know how long it will take me to learn certain things but I hope to be able to create some kind of short animation for my nieces to enjoy when they come to visit for Christmas. Maybe something with Gus and a female gingerbread person enjoying Christmas or a winter scene with a Christmas song playing. I’ve been working a lot but my hours have been cut a little bit at both of my jobs so maybe I’ll be able to do something, even if it is very basic. I don’t know cuz I’m still a noobie. lol