Can't get downloaded materials to work

So first off, I am really new to blender and hardly know how to use it, so hope this doesn’t sound like too silly of a question. Recently I’ve been trying to learn how to add materials (that I downloaded from sites offering free materials for blender) but once I add the material to an object the object is only colored rather than looking textured. I put it in cycles mode and material view and it still only shows up as a single color. I am pretty sure that I am just viewing it wrong or something since the preview shows as a textured sphere. So I was wondering what exactly I am doing wrong and how to fix it. Thanks in advance!

UVs are the default mapping for textures. If you haven’t UV unwrapped your object then you won’t see the texture unless the material uses a Texture Coordinate node and uses a different mapping method.

Supply a demo blend file that shows your problem, trying to use telepathic powers is draining on the old brain

I tried unwrapping it but I couldn’t find a way to append the material after it was unwrapped (the file button disappeared). Also, I tried uploading blend file as example (to forum) but I can’t figure out how to add it.