Can't open Blender in Windows 10

Greetings. My formerly-Windows 7 laptop seems to have picked up a nasty piece of self-installing malware called “Windows 10,” and Blender won’t open now. I’m wondering if I should revert to 7 while I still can.

Blender version is 2.75a. Attempting to open any file gets me this message:

Your system does not use 3D hardware acceleration. Blender requires a graphics driver with OpenGL 2.1 support. This may be caused by (yadda yadda yadda).

I’m using a laptop whose display adapter is “Mobile Intel ® 4 Series Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1).”

I reinstalled the driver, but it didn’t help.

Some more searching revealed that support for it was dropped when Windows 8 came out.

I think this is the (or a) problem, but I’m not a terribly technical person, so if anyone knows of a “make it work” checkbox I need to tick somewhere (or can simply confirm that there’s no way it’s going to work with W10), I’d appreciate any info.

Thanks much!

What laptop is it, and which Intel CPU does it have?

Have you tried downloading the driver from the Intel website?

I did, but I got error messages when trying to install, and it wouldn’t finish. I finally went to device manager and used the option to install the newest driver version. That worked as far as getting me back to where I’d been, but Blender still doesn’t work.

It’s a Toshiba dynabook EX/35KBL.

The CPU is an Intel Celeron 900 (2.2 GHz)

Hi, it is a GL40 express GPU chip but I cant fin any information about OpenGL support.
Daniel, are you sure about Blender version?
Until Blender 2.77 was no change in OpenGL support so 2.76 or older should work.
For older versions you need OpenGL 1.4 support since 2.77 you need OpenGL 2.1.
OpenGL 2.1 was published 10 years ago.

Cheers, mib

It certainly seems to be Blender 2.75a. That said, I had tried to upgrade to 2.77a earlier, and there’s actually a 2.77 folder inside my 2.75a folder. Maybe I’ve got a 2.77a now that’s telling me it’s 2.75a?

In any case, I just tried 2.72b, and that one opened fine. Also just re-downloaded and tried 2.77a from a different folder, and that one gives me the same error, though it correctly identifies itself as 2.77a.

Thanks for checking around. I’m glad I’ve got a usable version now, but if I won’t be able to stay current without going back to Windows 7, it looks like Windows 7 it’ll have to be.