Can't seem to rig my charcter

I am working on a project for a BBC competition, which involves a rigged character.
the character is very simple, but when I go to rig it, nothing works?? The character will not respond to movements of the armature at all.
I am using blender version 2.74 and in Blender Render
Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to fix it???
Or even instructions would help :smiley:Wing.blend (520 KB)

You haven’t built a proper rig, and the rig that you do have isn’t set up to control the mesh. Take a look at this tutorial, which shows how to rig a character similar to the one you have built.

You will have to delete all five armatures you have now, and begin again with only one. Rigs for simple characters generally begin with a hip bone, the legs and spine extend out from there. The arms and head extend from the top of the spine.

Then, you must parent the mesh to the armature. That is covered in the tutorial. You might want to try the ‘automatic weight’ option, if you don’t like the results, you can delete the mesh’s armature modifier without deleting the armature and try a different option. The automatic weight option lets you skip the weight painting step, if you like the results of the automatic paint process. If you don’t like it, you can use weight painting to fix it, or you can use the method shown in the tutorial.

Good luck, and Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley:

You are AMAZING!!!
Thank you so much, I knew I was doing something wrong but I couldn’t figure out what!
I got my rig up and running within 10 mins of reading your reply!

The Automatic Weight Painting worked perfectly, so no need for manual weight painting :smiley:
I can now finally start work on the rest of the characters and all the “fun” modelling for my sets XD
Again, I can’t thank you enough!,
Ilumonos