Caps lock to shift

If you are anything like me and hit caps lock every other time you reach for shift, here’s how to turn it into a shift key in both linux and windows.

Windows

Create a text file with these lines and name it CapslockToShift.reg and double click the ikon:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
“Scancode Map”=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,2a,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

Warning: This works with western keyboards, I don’t know if it will work if you have something else.

Linux

Open the file ~/.Xmodmap in a text editor, or create it if it doesn’t exist. Add these lines and run the command “xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap” in a terminal:

remove lock = Caps_Lock
add shift = Caps_Lock

Interesting, thanks for the info. This leads me to another question. I am a recent linux (animux, debian) convert, and i figured that for some hotkeys you have to additonally press the command/windows key. What is Alt+Space in windows, is Win+Alt+Space in linux. I am using Xfce.

Can i change it so that it is like in windows?

I don’t use Xfce and I don’t know what alt-space does in Windows, so it’s hard to say. :slight_smile:

I cannot remember the name for sure, but there is certainly some sort of shortcut key editor in XFCE. Perhaps it is in the Keyboard Preferences? Unlike Windows, the major desktop environments are very configurable when it comes to shortcut keys.

1 Like

I found it. It is in Settings->Windows Manager->Keyboard