Car modelling: Subsurf or not?

Hi guys

I’m interested in modelling cars (Who isn’t?)

So, I’m wondering if it is more efficient to use a subsurf modifier, or to totally “hand-model” it; ie: only use the basic transform tools and no subsurf.

I expect that using subsurf takes away a bit of control from the user. Is this correct?

Which kind of modelling do you guys recommend?

Thanks very much

Ross

well if you’re going for a smooth sports car then without a doubt subsurface modeling is the way to go. But if you are going to model something that doesn’t have that much curves (and you know the camera is not going close to the model) then you can save quite a bit of time by just using raw polys.

I expect that using subsurf takes away a bit of control from the user. Is this correct?

• I don’t think so. But it can be quite tricky in some cases if you don’t know what you’re doing.

good luck modeling :slight_smile:

me Motor bikes are way cooler :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

…In which case…No, I don’t quite know what I’m doing haha

So, can you help me by telling me any way to really control my subdivision modelling? Or is a mean crease the only way?

Thanks very much in advance!!

Ross

There are some tutorials on this, but in general I think you can either make use of creasing weights or you can add a loop cut to force the edge to stand out, the closer it is slid to the edge the more rigid the edge becomes.

…In which case…No, I don’t quite know what I’m doing haha

Well then that pretty much answers the question on what you need to do.
Don’t try and learn it on a car though. Try something a bit easier like a table with rounded off edges
and legs. It’s pretty straight forward and extremely useful. Welcome to the world of 3D Modeling.

I agree with JDA. If you haven’t modeled that much before then I suggest you start with something less complex and work your way up.

But if you really want to make cars, then here is a free video tutorial series on modeling a Porsche from Jonathan @ blendercookie

Thanks for the advice, guys.