Cargo

I took this photo a week ago when I came back from Mars delivering goods to trading post sr-7. When I got back inside I got a glims of man kinds first star ship Taurus docked to the side of the Trading post just before we entered earths atmosphere.
Today I’m watching the spaceship on TV as it starts it’s journey to the stars. Will they find something out there, I don’t know? But one things for sure, they will never see earth again.

For my second project I wanted to focus more on a complete scene that told a story rather then just model. This is what I came up with. It’s been three fun but also frustrating weeks because I’m still a noob when it comes to 3d.

Scene setup in Blender- Everything is scaled correctly except the window and hand. It got so small that Cycles had a hard time rendering it correctly.

Passes- I quickly realised that rendering through a window wasn’t Cycles strongest suit. So I had to split up the rendering in different passes to get rid of all firefly’s.

Layers in Affinity Photo- The helmet in the reflection was made as a separate model. It was so easy I forgot to save it. But it was just a sphere with a texture on it.

51 Likes

beautiful work!!!

3 Likes

Nice work!

Just a couple of suggestions made on you comments.

When you get into more complex (render) situations in 3D, start splitting up the scene in view layers & collections.
It has no advantage for instance to render the scene -through- the glass, when just compositing some glass into the scene it is so much faster. Even some slight warping of the background through the glass can be quickly done in comp.
This is also the case for the window/wall. Just render it separately on another view layer, and scale it up as needed. There doesn’t need to be a scale connection in this case, just get the composite to look right. Like you did in Affinity.

Just look up on rendering/compositing workflows in Blender, it will make your life easier (and quicker). :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks and thanks for the tips. I split it up in collection but I have to look into view layers.

At first I actually just did the glass render to get a reference where to place and what blur level I should have on the glass in Affinity photo. But it came out kind of OK so I ended up using it in final image. But I’ll definitely check out some rendering/compositing workflows tutorials.

This is such an interesting concept! Impressive

1 Like

Thank you very much

1 Like

Thanks for the positive feedback

I also need to stop doing pointless details. Its really easy to get carried away and add detail to an object and then zoom out a realize that you spent an hour on detail that turns out to be just a couple of pixels in the end.

1 Like

Yes, that’s an easy pitfall…
Spend the time on things that are close to the camera, details on things further down the scene a well crafted texture is probably enough.
Like you discovered, having high detail objects in the distance doesn’t really enhance the scene.

It’s also helps your scene with rendering (speed), if you can get a proper mix of high/medium/low-res models in your scene, but still have it look good. :slight_smile:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Great story, beautiful image, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s sweet!

1 Like

Thank, glad you liked a bit of story