Carrier path

Hey guys, i am just starting out in blender and i wanted to ask you, should i focus on blender if i want to find jobs as an environment artist for games or jump directly to ue5? I have no interest in making cartoons or other animations, only stuff related to games.

You should focus on your portfolio- the tool is less important than the results here

If you are only interested in “stuff related to games,” you should immediately focus your attention upon the tools that “game-makers” today use.

But I italicize the word today to emphasize that “‘today’ is always changing.” You also need to understand the principles. “Blender” is, shall we say, a “more generalized tool” that, while focusing perhaps on a different “market,” is still “doing the same things.”

For more game art and technical info - Polycount

Career resources - https://polycount.com/discussion/181999/game-industry-career-resources

One approach has more in common with becoming a 3D generalist where you use Blender full-time, that way is very easy to transition to modeling objects for environments, and on top of that to use the level editor of the game engine to setup scenes.

Alternatively, it is the other way around. Where you focus only on creating the environment right inside the level editor of the game engine. However you will have to assume that assets simply “exist” and you use them directly without having to create them. (probably you might purchase a few, or hire artists to create some for you).

However I see that most of the times (almost always) that people do get into the trouble of creating their assets from scratch using Blender (probably to save money), either they get an asset edited and exported again.
As for example mostly when it comes to people doing 3D printing they tend to edit models quite a lot, but only one related dimensions or applying a few modifiers, or doing boolean cuts. Anything more complex such as creating assets is not in their mind.
With this example, I can see that there are a few good tasks that require Blender in a very basic and casual usage. Usually is about transforming the origin point (position/rotation/scale), at the most complex cases you would end up into remixing various bits of models to create new ones (eg: with about 3 basic rocks you could get about 12 new variations only by transforming).