cartoon human wip

Hello all :slight_smile:

Today I started making a human cartoon character which I will eventually use in the 11 second club Please critique on anything you see every step of the way please, I don’t have much experience modeling particularly human characters (even though this one will be a rather cartoon one) and I will need every tip/correction I can get :slight_smile:

first rendered image:

checklist for what still needs to be done (for personal purposes):

• Further body tweaking
  • face/hair
  • any texture/specularity tweaking that will come up
  • full body, and face rig

His neck seems too far backward and at too severe an angle, and the collar coming right up to his neck enhances the effect.

thank you @modron, I fixed the neck and I think it looks great! :smiley:

I also took in the stomach a little bit, it looked a little awkward to me.

checklist for what still needs to be done (for personal purposes):

✔ Further body tweaking
  • hands
  • face/hair
  • any texture/specularity tweaking that will come up
  • full body, and face rig

just an update :slight_smile: please give any crit where needed

There is not much to crit here, the model is very simple, and it looks very blocky. The body looks like a block of cheese. I believe character design starts with the eyes and head, and should look good on paper before going 3d. Good Luck.

Isn’t the 11 second club more about animation , why don’t you use some of the free rigs and characters that float about. Unless you have a specific reason to use your own character.

Loolarge did a Blender version of the Norman Model, in fact (which is what they give the students at Animation Mentor)

You can get it here:

Norman Rig

I’m creating my own character for the 11 second club just as a way to kind of learn how to model and rig a human (well cartoon human). I only started using blender a few months ago and this will be my first human with a decent rig, I only worked with the rigging system once before and it came out horrible, so I’m just using this as an opportunity to learn, and of course get better. That’s why I really want any criticism, thanks everyone even though it isn’t much yet.