I am trying to make a cylinder that looks like the top of a castle tower (although I am not making a castle)…
Here is an image I found that comes the closest of what I am talking about:
I was able to make the basic shape using the following methods:
- Added a cylinder with 16 vertices and no caps
- Performed a Mesh/Solidify Selection to thicken the walls a bit
- Extruded 4 of the 16 faces on top to give that castle tower look
- Softened the whole mesh with “Set Smooth”
- Performed an “EdgeSplit” modifier to cut the tops
- Performed a SubSurf
When I subsurf the mesh, it gets all messed up…If I do not add those 4 extrudes on top, the subsurf smooths the cylinder mesh perfectly! So there is something about those face extrudes that the sub surf doesn’t like, or something.
I need the cylinder to be smooth on the inner and outter walls, but I need the “cut-outs” on top to be sharply cut with no rounded smoothing (I hope that makes sense).