Cat5!

Hey! Been a while since I posted something here.

Here’s one of the assets I made for my upcoming animation. Made it for SubD and all quads without any reason. Take a look!

I didn’t want to spend more time on rendering, because it was just a part of a bigger project. But my social media pages are pretty empty, so I did two renders for Instagram :slightly_smiling_face:

And here is a few fast closeups I tried to make.

This asset took a while to create, more than one week to model, texture, and render it. We had a few blackouts in my town, and that kinda slowed me down. But it’s a lot better than it was a few months ago, so I’m still super happy.

The hardest part was to find good reference images, because the ethernet cable plug is super small and has interior cavities, and holes that are very hard to see because of the translucent material.

I tried to find images on the internet but decided to sacrifice a few of the cables I have here at home. I took a bunch of photos and had one plug in front of me while modeling. It helped me immensely.

The plastic part is a lot more rough and scuffed in the real life, but I love glossy-looking materials, and it’s 3D, baby, I can break any rules I want :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Extra renders that I abandoned (bad, stinky renders)

Thank you for your attention. Check out the links below to find more of my work. I’m still learning, and I appreciate your support! Have a great day :sparkling_heart:

80 Likes

Crazy stuff, I love the level of detail! The lighting is on point!

2 Likes

Thank you! So glad to hear it.

Light is the most time-consuming part for me. I enjoy it, but I always feel like there is so much room for improvement, and if it is - I’m obliged to make it perfect .
(and then I fail, but that’s okay, haha)

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you!!

1 Like

The quality of the plastic material is so luscious, and a wonderful contrast with the golden contacts. Looks accurate to me! You could use the materials now for luxury furniture for a grand hotel.

1 Like

Haha, thank you! I’m glad you liked it :>

I want o pull out my network cable to have a lo— — — —

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Fantastic, you made a cable look sexy!

I tried to find images on the internet but decided to sacrifice a few of the cables I have here at home. I took a bunch of photos and had one plug in front of me while modeling

Awesome, I like to get close to the real thing too, and discover even the smallest details.

Well done!

1 Like

Cool!!! :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

Hmmm, I love that macro stuff, nice

1 Like

Thank you, glad you like it!

I never really tried to use a real thing as a reference before, but it was a rewarding and refreshing experience. And I like that feeling when you’re sitting by the desk covered in wires, cables, and a bunch of sketches you made. Like you’re some kind of mad scientist in your secret lab

Hi everyone,

Here is the “Behind the Scenes” article for this brilliant artwork!

Do check out this article, written by the artist himself. It describes the process of making the artwork step by step and provides insight into hard-surface modeling in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn

2 Likes

This is awesome!