CBA 1: Space girl

This is artwork based of a concept from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3XWzP . It is a special piece because of the challenges I’ve faced throughout this artist journey. All in all, it took about 3 weeks.

Final renders:

Original concept renders:

Various stages of the process:

Concept used:
concept_ref_simp

I had attempted to create this character nearly 3 years ago with, of course, devastating results. I was not confident in sculpting, anatomy, proportions, nor the technical side of things, like workflow. With the previous artworks, I had merely bundled together different references and used them loosely. Although I found my own style after a while, I kept thinking that I was afraid to fail sticking to an actual concept.

Compared to the version I made 3 years ago, this piece shows not only my growth as an 3D character artist but a 3D generalist. My rendition of the concept art is far from great, let alone perfect. But this is my current skill level, which I hope to continue building upon.

Previously, I had poured most of my time in the sculpting and modelling of my characters, costumes and the materials. This work allowed me to create a complete scene, exercising the technical side of art. And most of the time was actually spent on the materials and lighting this time. I got to use so many fun things like irradiance volume, cloth brush,
physics properties and others.

Thanks to Kamryn865 for letting me use the artwork. I’d appreciate your feedback and I hope you liked it :smiley:.

5 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you very much Bart😃

1 Like