CD/DVD drive being read as floppy. [solved]

Evening, BA, haven’t seen you guys in a while. :slight_smile:

I decided it was about time I built a gaming/rendering machine after having this crap 9 year old computer in my room for so long. So, after spending 550 bucks and 2 hours assembling the computer, my CD/DVD drive gets read as a floppy drive.

Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106274

Anything I can do? I’m not the only person who has this problem, either, if you read the reviews, although I don’t plan on using his solution (taking a USB CD drive, disassembling it, and replacing it with the new drive).

On your CD rom drive, check the jumper plug in the back. A tiny little plastic 2-pin plug in one of the sets of pins in the back. Different motherboards read the position settings differently, you may have had it set as a primary/master…or pehaps a slave drive on your old pc. Your new one may interpret the settings differently, if there is a jumper at all, remember where it was plugged in at, but try removing it…or set it at a different setting.

I had a jumper on my main DVD drive set to primary on my old pc, on my new pc, I had to remove the jumper to get the motherboard to see it correctly.

Try that first, let us know, otherwise it could be in your BIOS, but we’ll deal with that next.

I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. I’ve gotta head to bed, it’s late over here. Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

Does your mobo have specific IDE ports for floppy drives? Are you sure you didn’t plug the CD drive into a floppy connector by mistake?

Also, it might be worth it to check the BIOS.

I’m just guessing, though.

I just tried every single position for the jumper. All of them were detected as floppies anyway. The same thing happened when I removed it.

Does your mobo have specific IDE ports for floppy drives? Are you sure you didn’t plug the CD drive into a floppy connector by mistake?

Also, it might be worth it to check the BIOS.

I’m just guessing, though.
There’s only one IDE port. I’m going to try updating my BIOS next.

More info on my system:

Mobo: BIOSTAR TA785GE 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G Micro ATX
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
PSU: hec HP585D RETAIL 585W ATX12V Power Supply
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT (Although it is currently not connected as I need the VGA port for my monitor that is on the integrated card)
RAM: DDR2 4GB Corsair
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I may have messed up the IDE setup as well, as I only have experience with SATA. Currently, the CD/DVD drive is on the third connector, the second one has nothing on it, and the first connector goes into the motherboard. In other words, it’s on the master connector.

Just did a BIOS update; still detected as a floppy.

Wow, this is interesting…in an annoying way. Does the BIOS display it as a floppy drive? If so, try disabling floppy drive detection in the BIOS altogether and see what it does. It’s possible, since you’re using an SATA HDD, standard IDE may be disabled in your BIOS.

it’s strange that default BIOS settings sometimes disable onboard IDE ports when you use SATA. And all the while, they maintain an enabled floppy port. I haven’t had a floppy drive in years, while I’ll never go without a DVD rom drive!

Disabled the floppy drive controller. Same thing. SATA IDE are both enabled to work together as well.

I’m going to put a different drive in and see if the problem persists, just to see if it’s BIOS related or not.

Just added my old CD drive into it. STILL the same problem. I guess it is BIOS.

There is also nothing detected as a master/slave/whatever in the IDE menu.

Is there a jumper on the mobo anywhere which relates to this connector? Maybe it has multiple modes or something.

You might try contacting the manufacturer, if they offer any way to do so.

Nevermind, I’ve got it. There was indeed a jumper. Thanks for your help.

Wow, I can’t believe I just helped someone solve a hardware problem. That’s a first for me.