Celluloid Material

Looks to me that a simple way to get kinda close is to use rough metallic and a glossy clearcoat in a Principled BSDF node, with something procedural into the Normal. But looks like the Normal’s also affecting the clearcoat, which I though it wasn’t supposed to do (there’s a separate input for the Clearcoat Normal).

CyclesJumaTest001packed.blend (1.2 MB)

You could try something like this to get your guitar pick material (two variations).

2 Likes

For the Juma material, you could try a bump/normal map with a medium roughness glossy, overlaid with a high gloss laquer.

I have a brownish celluloid pick here,this looks quite close to this mat.

Hmmm…Yep…yours is a matte finish…
I split a window and opened a new 3d viewport inside of yours…I got reflections…
I re-checked yours and Voila!! It had perspective view turned off ( keypad 5)…
as soon as I hit that…Reflections!! Probably has to do with the Layer Weight Node as it is set for Facing…and works better in Eevee as it is a real-time effect.

Thanks moony - this is probably the closest answer so far. How did you do the lacquer effect? Is that the second node? I’ll play with this when I am near a PC!

The laquer effect is achieved via the bottom glossy node in the mix shader - and combination with the fresnel node (the fresnel node makes it look like laquer rather than chrome)

Thanks!! I will give it a go.

Incredibly late reply, but I stumbled upon this thread when trying to create this material myself. I think I got a good procedural node setup. Here is a render.

The node setup is a little wild. I can’t post more than one embedded image or any attachments as my account is new. So here is a link to imgur: https://imgur.com/a/FnI1eYR

The basic just though is to use Voronoi (Smooth F1) to create the main cells. Use a very small Smoothness value to make the cells look more “melted” together. Use “color” and 4D. You can then plug a random value node or another mapping node so that when you make copies of the object, the pattern varies.

Then use noise textures to get the iridescent/gradient look inside the cells. I made the material a little metallic with some roughness to get the velvety feel of guitar picks and to capture some of the pearlescent use a layer weight “facing”.

I added subsurface because the plastic has some depth too it and light can pass through. But with a smaller radius for X/Y/Z as it isn’t as soft as candle wax.

The important part is the “Coat” and “Sheen”. The coat evens out the surface so when light falls on it, it looks like it has a clear coat on top. So even though the material has layers, it is all melted together to be perfectly smooth.

Sheen goes on top of the clear coat and I added a bit of that, just to get the velvety feel of the picks again. It doesn’t made a huge difference.

UPDATE 03/29/2023
This is not self promotion, but just an easier way for people to get the file. If you have BlenderKit, you can now search for it with asset_base_id:0dba4568-c6cb-4629-bed2-8a8eec630df5 or “Procedural Blue Celluloid” by “Kaisa Ackerman”.

5 Likes