Cgboost idea for secret lab

This my entry for the contest secret lab. Let me know what you like and don’t like about the image.
Thanks.

4 Likes

Hey !

There is a lot of cool things !
What strikes me is that it’s a bit too busy, and there are too many things that competes for being the main focal point.
I think I’ll start to switch off all the lights, then start to reveal one main focal point. And then selectively add secondary points of interest.

Probably some little adjustments in the composition should be made to better support that main focal point.

Having a few areas of rest in the image would also help, that can be done through light, for instance the foreground can be in a darker area so it’s only a silhouette over the mid-ground,

There is also a conflict in the definition of the space :
Somehow it’s very crowded, like visually we could be in a very small room where there isn’t any more space to put anything.

But still there are some clues that there are a lot of empty space between the mid ground and the foreground, which gives a kind of unnatural feeling.
Even more, we kinda get the feeling that there is nothing outside the frame.

Maybe by having more coherence into that could help. If it’s a giant laboratory then I’ll use more that to better balance the elements and add these areas of rest. I’ll basically add more things in the distance, make the space breath more.

If you’re more into a small room, then I’ll try to reduce the space in the 3D scene, and then try to add areas of rest by doing more shadow over light over shadow areas.

Or :

This is super crowded but the light helps a lot to put some visual hierarchy so if you contrast the image it’s in fact really simple : the board gets more focus, then the desk, then you can start to navigate and look at the tertiary point of interest.

So, there are a lot of cool and fun elements in your image, adding more visual hierarchy will probably help tremendously !

Good luck !

4 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Hi, Thanks for the critique, Very helpful.

Antonio

1 Like

Cool ! I just stumble upon your website, seems like there is an insane amount of good information there !
Keep up the good work !

Here is an updated image that I think makes the lab look more like a room.

2 Likes

Awesome ! It’s much much better IMO !
Here are a few comments :
the first character is looking away from the main focus point, having it looking the other way around will be less distracting.
There is some kind of contrast in posing because this character is quite in tension while others are quite calm, could be super cool to have other people at least in a state of “starting to react” , or maybe with a slight tension too, like something has just started to goi wrong. Or on the opposite , having every one kinda calm ( = yet another day in the secret monkey lab), that will make less noise by having things more simple.

Also, the main tube kinda split the room in two, it’s giving me the impression of two different room, because the lighting is different, some stuff like the curtains aren’t in the other side of the tube.
Having some elements that makes a connection between these two areas can make the image again more simpler to read.

I think it can be worth to try to play a bit more with the image, but the general primary shapes distribution seems really good, it’s more like tweaking a few things and playing a bit with light to me.

Well done !

1 Like

Well I wasn’t able to submit this one which I think is better than then the others, Thanks for the suggestions. I would try to do the hair of the girl on the left with the new hair in blender 3.3.

2 Likes

Man this is really cool !
I’m still a bit confused by the character at the edge of the frame looking outside, I’d flip the pose to redirect the look toward the center of the image, so we have no escape :smiley:

Other than that I’ve got nothing to add, it’s super interesting to see the evolution between versions !

Congrats !

I actually had the same thought yesterday, Maybe one of the vials with the smaller monkeys on the floor with a puddle and she’s reacting as if she dropped the vial.

1 Like

Sounds interesting !

I think you should avoid creating a secondary story that competes with the main subject.
That said it might be interesting to have a pose slightly more dynamic than the two other characters.

It’s worth testing a bit and see what effects different things might give. You control the eyes of the viewer through that character so it’s worth exploring a bit there !

Have fun !