CGTalk and Blender (closed)

The thing is, it’s not like the other apps don’t take a bashing there.

There was an epic 3D Studio one lately. And the Maya/XSI wars continue.

Just to say, I agree with the guy about “versions” largely because once people have made a setup they’ve found that works they’re reluctant to break it. My impression is that if your tool can reliably plug into that already functioning pipeline then if it’ll make their life easier they will use it. This is why 3rd party modelling apps seem to be on the ascendancy.

CGTalk is quite a fair and relatively unbiased place. They give everything a good prod and poke. Blender is no exception.

Good works will get good critiques and praise. Bad ones will get flamed to ashes. There has been very nice images created in 3D Max, etc., that have been bashed unnecessarily too.

Whining like this just makes us all look childish and unprofessional.

Sitting on your arse complaining about what other people say about the specific app you chose to use is childish and does not further you, or the app you use.

umm… just excuse me, gentlemen, but am I not indeed encouraging people to do great artwork and in so doing promote blender? Whining?
I think you guys have over-reacted just a bit… and turned the whole issue upside down :frowning:

It wasn’t horrible I prefer it

It was never horrible.

Well actually now when you say Blender you get: “aah that basic 3d modeler with sometimes a nice render” but the future will give us: “Blender O_o? you know how to use it? Awesome it’s an amazing free 3d program” :stuck_out_tongue:

Well the last response is what I get when I use blender at school in the Mediatheek. Ofthen people that do 3D or multimedia ask me where to download it, what it can do, and give them an introduction. I gave already more then 30 people at my school a blender intro, and they are still using it. Sometimes I see wallpapers on the pc’s made with blender, or just a wallpaper, “blender 3D” “blender rules :P”

I’d say blender is kinda the linux of 3d-applications, yet to obtain it’s respect.

"The thing is, it’s not like the other apps don’t take a bashing there. "

Indeed, this is very true. bashin a program is no clever thing.

I have read loong threads in Hash Am section of Cgtalk (a bit harder sometime ago, as seems these latest versions upset certain people not so much as before, fro it improved what they said was wrong (I don’t know the real truth)) with much bashing of the tool in its whole, even the company.

The wars between Maya and Max users are legendary. I have been browsing 3d forums and related maybe since '96…allways that war…usually more Max/Maya than any other…LW getting into battle sometimes.

These wars reproduced tirelessly in POlycount, 3d ark,3dlinks forums, 3d total forums, in everywhere…

max users saying Maya is crap, Maya user saing Max is way inferior…And that their own tool is the best in the world.

Nothing of that is very true, imo. Hash Am I’m sure is an EXTREMELY good (the gallery there looks impressive, but…heck, I have a video here, that…well, made for a game company video intro (hi res), it did let me speechless…“Tak_&_Power_of_Juju.avi” )animation tool, Max is the king in games (for now), ideal for highly overpressured game production milestones and very versatil, Maya is a dream come true for animation and modelling.

And for what I am seing, XSI is sweeeet…for the very little baby steps I’m doing, as always, without looking into the docs… :smiley:

“Fear is the mind killer.”

Hehehehehe.

Blend on!"

Blender makes its user base has to rely on their own wits to work out great stuff. Any other process has you relying on someone else for your each and every move. And some other 3d software users can’t see why we love to work without a fluffy pink retail software support net to catch us when we fall into a problem.

Oh snap, Blender’s an open source app like Linux which means you have to learn to fix stuff and build stuff into it on your own.

It’s all about mind games and using your own mind. Retail software is often mostly mind games. Open source is all about using your own mind 24/7 for everything.

You don’t see a button for this thingamajig? Code one and stop your crying. Or stop your crying and ask for someone to code one.

It’s not always like that but it is a little more of a “tough love” than using Maya or XSI. Love can be tough. But we love to love.

Blend on!

I’ve learnt max without looking docs, nor even the help file, and of course :smiley: not having any net support or customer support…in companies I’ve been no time for that, besides, it’d be detected (crazy, I know) as “weakness” in the worker…some bosses are as crazy as t othink then…heh, thi sman is no good, needs support from the software makers…or “hmm…he consults too much the help”…haha. true as I am writting now. (In my experience)

Learnt also any other package this way, Amorphium, Zbrush, Wings, Metasequoia, a bit of Maya…all in the rude way.

And…well, Max allowed me to do anything. Other packages didn’t as weren’t pretended to do so. Specialiced tools (but extremely good) like Deep Paint3d (I’d be lying if I wouldn’t say I had to have a deep look at the docs. I also consulted the docs for Blender.) Wings, metasequoia, Zbrush…

BTW, there are times in max, Maya, etc, etc, etc…when there’s not a button for that,may maxers have coded extremely useful maxscripts, ideal for game making workflows… (I am remebering one we used, polyvis, to make a selection of faces never seen by camera navigation, and so , to delete them for example, to lower the general count, important in real time (and to reduce times in pre rendered game which I have also been into. ))

Maya users often need extra functionality and then have to code mel scripts. For what they say seems is very flexible thing.

But in a day’s work…heheheheeee…if you ask many of them if they would prefer it to have it already as button in the software…I know a big number would prefer it already done, enough work already with all the other stuff.

besides many of them, are not passionate coders/scripters, but passionate artists only (you can be any combination of that, there’s never a prohibition for it… :wink: )

I mean if you give many of them the possibility of aquire they rendering or whatever quality, faster, and with the time needed to code a new feature, used in actually making the creature , materials…they surely will prefer it.

Of course, it’s also nice and rewarding (I suppose) to code it the better you can and see it finally working…

When I get XSI I will make much use of the cloth features for adding more fast cloth detail to my characters clothing, etc. The examples that I have seen of this are amazing. But even though XSI is sold as the one stop 3d software gas station that will make all of my 3d workflow dreams come true, I will use it like I use Windows and use Blender for everything else. I know that this approach will freak other XSI users out, but I live in California so I’m used to doing the unusual things that folks in other places may not get.

Open source is like eating organic home made food everyday. You know what it’s made of and it makes sense. It even tastes better when it’s all cooked up.

Some folks may say I can’t go a week without eating fast-food, it’s so convenient. Organic food is so weird and you have to cook it yourself.

If you can live without eating from a prepackaged box of food stuffs so you can live without retail software.

Just wait, soon open source living will be the next “in” thing to do. Hehehehe.

On to more open source software adventures!

Blend on!

I plan also to work with a mix between xsi+blender in the future…
(I don’t have hair in xsi foundation, for example… :wink: )

You can upgrade. Hehehehe.

Blend on!

ok, end of topic.

anyway, I’m mainly a game artist (real time 3d)…not much interest in hair rendering…is only a nice thing I used to like doing with shag hair Max plugin… like a kind of joy thing. Hair rendering is not acttually in AAA games yet, so not to mention in the indy projects I use to get involved.And if I get again into a game company (possible, the bucks are ending in my bank account :frowning: ) , I doubt we will be doing hair rendering calculated in real time…

but in hi res for joy making thing, is nice to have hair :slight_smile:

Maybe you say as a joke, but I like the fact that Softimage says in the future I may upgrade with a price discount… :wink:

And essentials version is more than I ever need for any crazy need…

Hey guys, I’ve posted on another seciton of this, but I have created commercial work with Blender. As much as I’d love to go on CGTalk and rub it in their faces, I have the same apathy for that group as they seem to have for Blender. :wink: I’d rather tell the people who appreciate the work that went into creating the finished product that preech to those who swear by their big guns.

By the way: check out the work here:

http://www.flawedprefect/showreels.html

Blender Rocks, and one day, the world will know! 8)

My advice:

Don’t worry about it…I remember how people over on Cgtalk first reacted to Zbrush, and now look at the way everyone is swooning over it.

Blender is developing very fast these days, and eyes are opening. Be patient.

You can upgrade. Hehehehe.

Blend on![/quote]

The next XSI edition is a at a much higher price, better go with blender for the hair. About Z-brush and CGtalk that probably happened because it made many improvements with each version, Blender’s doing the same thing.

Umm yes, that was my point :stuck_out_tongue: But there is more to it than that – Zbrush was flamed for being unconventional, for having it’s own unique way of doing things. I’d say that the same applies to blender, and given enough time Blender will be fully recognised as well.