Challenge #1049 "My new Spectacles, they are kind of weird …" Voting CLOSED

This week’s theme: My new Spectacles, they are kind of weird …

Which entry would you like to see win?
(If you cannot decide, pick up to 3.)

• Trentle
  • QR16
  • Adedamola_richard
  • fcharr
  • KDLynch
  • caz747
  • codecontemplator
  • PMDesigns
  • Splododyne
  • 3dnotguru
  • derosaron1
  • revolt_randy

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Aug 2, 2023 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

Pure Entries

Trentle: Light Amplification Device

QR16: Suzanne Eyewear

Adedamola_richard: MEGA MULTI LENS SPECTACLE

fcharr: Shades of Green

KDLynch: Weird Inverted Glasses

caz747: Steam

Open Entries

codecontemplator: Life and death

*(Resources/credits:

Skin and bone material from blenderkit
Skull: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-skull-anatomy-science-model-1458950
Head: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-free-bust-head-base-mesh-model-1832518
Hair and eyebrows: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-realistic-model-of-female-head-anna-1781059
Eyes: https://tinynocky.gumroad.com/l/tinyeye
Glasses: https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/free-glasses-3d-model/772170)*

PMDesigns: That M*********er is Not Real!

(Open: The lizard man head was decapitated from a downloaded model. I made the rest, but going with “open” because the lizard head is the main feature.)

Splododyne: Joo Janta 200 Super-Chromatic Peril Sensitive Sunglasses

(Character from Daz Studio
HDR background is MetroVienna_20070310-05_lp.hdr by Bernhard Vogl)

3dnotguru: fancy redshift detector for the cerebral cortex

(OPEN because I have used bald head from MakeHuman.)

derosaron1: EyeGlasses

(It’s open, the human is from makehuman and the assets are from blenderkit. )

revolt_randy: Those Thick Dorky Glasses

(Character was something I downloaded years ago… Everything else I created.)

Non-competing Entries

Broccolium: THEY LIVE

revolt_randy: sphere_render

Helge: Neunauge

codecontemplator: Sand and glass

codecontemplator: Dial my eyes

OLG: Well that’s odd

Is it possible show a list of users who voted in the poll? I don’t want to know who voted for whom, that could sway the vote.

I don’t think so. At least, I’m not aware of a setting like that. And now that I think about it, depending on a polls topic and how this would be handled technically, this could lead to privacy issues.

1 Like

speaking for myself, i would not want that info public. it’s one thing to have the info avail to moderators, so they can check for bot-spamming or somesuch, but mebbe peeps don’t want you to know they did or did not vote, regardless of for whom/what.

2 Likes

Depending on the circumstances, one could still infer the individual votes from this data. (e.g. by tracking the changes over time or by analyzing certain distributions)
It is probably better to keep it the way it is. (Even if it was possible to change it.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is possible to set up a poll to show who voted, but as said, in this case, it’s probably for the best if it remains anonymous :slight_smile:

1 Like

If we’re going to see who voted - wait until the end; a running total/list is obviously easy to disect. However, I would simply not bother. 39 voters, so I don’t think it’s a uxed vote. I assume the moderator can see who voted and has the data to figure out if there’s an unusual pattern where someone uses multiple accounts to vote for themselves (rigging especially would be obvious over time, with multiple contests.)

All in all, sometimes I disagree with the result but I see the result does favour the better entries so I think it’s pretty fair.

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 1049 with votes from 48.8% of the voters is… PMDesigns!
Here’s to all the great participators…

That M*********er is Not Real!

7 Likes

congratulations @PMDesigns :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Congrats PM for your win :slight_smile: and thank you all for your votes. and thank you Meryl Streep for being such a lovely lady :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you very much @KDLynch and @fcharr and to everyone who voted. A lot of great entries, as usual. I hope you all enjoy my choice of theme for the next challenge.

3 Likes

Having never seen this kind of comment in any of the other challenges, I’m curious.
I’m assuming that you made this comment because you didn’t agree with the direction in which the poll was headed so you thought something untoward was going on. Firstly, making that implication is quite offensive. Secondly, why do you only have 18 minutes total view time on this website and no other activity apart from that comment? It almost seems like you are an alt account.

Just imagine: The next round is starting right now! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations on the win, @PMDesigns! I apologize for not getting your image up on the featured row last week. SIGGRAPH had my full attention so I dropped the ball on getting the featured image up.

2 Likes

It’s ok. Looks like you’ll get another chance!
What is SIGGRAPH?

Whaaaat? Oh wow. SIGGRAPH is (for now) my second favorite event to go to in a year (after BCON). As an organization, SIGGRAPH is a division of the ACM that’s a special interest group for graphics. There’s an annual conference (typically in Los Angeles ever other year… and other North American cities on the non-LA years) where researchers, artists, educators, and hardware/software convene share, take notes, and generally network with one another with courses, an expo, a film festival, and quite a few parties. It’s quite an experience.

1 Like

I see. Well, I live in China, so I’m not too up-to-date on what’s going on in your country.

(there’s a SIGGRAPH Asia, FWIW :wink: )

1 Like

So, are you still struggling to retrieve that ball?