Challenge #1072 "enchanted candy" (05/01/24) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1072 for Friday 5th of January 2024 is:

enchanted candy

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jan 8, 2024 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Transition

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Candy-Copia

Pure

Old

Anyone know how to get decent volumetric rays in cycles? I don’t want to have to render this at 15k samples lol.(Compression makes it look even worse rip)

6 Likes

Not sure what happened there. For scenes like this, I usually place everything inside a cube with a (low density) Volume Scatter material. In this setting, a small (but bright) point light should work quite well - even with very low sample counts and some denoising.

5 Likes

Brightness 10k

Brightness 100k

That’s basically what I did although I used an area light (as far as I can tell it doesn’t make a big difference but the point light needs to be brighter). After some experimenting, I think I have too much contrast for the number of samples.

3 Likes

That could very well be true. With scenes like this, balancing the volume’s density and the light’s brightness can be tricky. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could try the “sun beams” node in the compositor to intensify the effect.
Also, make sure the cap on the amount of light bounces is high enough.

2 Likes

Enchanted Candy

wip

:black_heart: :black_heart: :black_heart:

2 Likes

your tongue is now hypmotized! :smiley:

1 Like

“The M&M-pire Strikes Back”

Open. The giant hand was downloaded. And the M&M packet image. Everything else was modeled this weekend.
Experimented with a “curve and hook rig” for these guys. Not very efficient.

9 Likes

:rofl: I looked up the definition for ‘enchanted’ and for sure ‘spell’ ‘bewitched’ ‘magical’ and ‘utterly delighted or captivated’ … was there as part of the definition :lollipop:

1 Like

Did you just recreate Trentle’s entire scene just to give advice on the volumetrics!?

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve been struggling with volumetric over the past few days too. Good luck I hope you get the desired effect. Wish I could help but it’s just playing around with the setting of the light and the volume cube

I actually didn’t know about the sunbeam effect! Might have to try it out

1 Like

Two tips (you might be doing these allready)

1. use a cube of fog big enought to surround the scene rather than fog in world settings

2. what size is your point light? If its set to 0 then that will be slower. A normal lightbulb is about 5cm across to a size of 0.05 should work - you may want it a little smaller to be hid by the candy but still bigger than 0 in size.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if there would be enough space between the candy objects to let the light rays through and how all that transparency would affect the render time and quality of the volumetrics and denoising. So I gave it a try. :wink:

5 Likes

Candy Dance

Pure
The textures are from textures.com.

The candy doesn’t move as nicely as here (link). No time to change that.

3 Likes

“Enchanted Candy Cane Made With Love”
non-competing

Just a relatively quick one this week as I need to eat my dinner and get to bed early as I’ll be up tomorrow helping my father do up our house. My father has promised to help teach me more of his amazing woodwork skills so it should be a really fun and educational day.

Have a great challenge everyone, and God bless you all.

5 Likes

Candy Balboa - Rocky Road to Dental Victory

Pure, Eevee

7 Likes

The Candy Witch

Pure

9 Likes

Green Stuff

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 4.0.2

10 Likes