Challenge #1083 "Fell from above" (22/03/24) Entries CLOSED

I see. Identify the light, not the movie. Didn’t read it properly.

Sorry for that… I’m outta here

Open

9 Likes

Lots of cool entries this weekend!

Here’s mine:

Open - I added to my entry for challenge #1075

When I did #1075, I mentioned I was a fan of action/adventure movies set in the 30’s-40’s, like Indiana Jones, The Mummy, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I’m also a big fan of the classic, original Looney Tunes cartoons, especially the Road Runner & Coyote ones.

Good luck to everyone!
Randy

10 Likes

I haven’t watched your video yet, but strangely enough, I was messing with Wile E Coyote today for an idea I had for my channel!

Here is my take on the theme, a mysterious ship fell from above and crashed on an estranged planet.
It was a lot of fun to make this over the weekend!

Pure, Cycles

Cropped version for details:

Hope you enjoy! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Title: Failed Launch
Pure

7 Likes

Really like the lighting!

1 Like

Thank you! Just the base blender sky texture and a volumetric box :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s my entry Gum Drop

They are, after all, called gum “drops”.

Thanks (or apologies?) to Andrew Price (BlenderGuru). I followed his tutorial on making a gumdrop with sugar crystals. I recreated everything (including an approximation of the material shaders) because I didn’t want to create a Dropbox login, so not exactly the same. Technically this is “pure, cycles”.

Notice I also duplicated and fiddled with the geometry nodes to create bushes, using a leaf instance instead of cubes.

7 Likes

:sob:

Why were you looking at Wile E Coyote? At one point, my character flaps it’s arms in an attempt to fly, but falls to the ground, typical Wile E Coyote stuff.

For “research” purposes, I “forced” myself to watch several Road Runner Coyote cartoons, and I liked how they showed action. Coyote running has 2-3 legs moving around. I’ll be testing that technique out on this project.

Randy

Non-competing.
“Trying to Open the Thing That Fell From the Sky”

I might let this render overnight just for kicks…
Few samples on this one, the tiny light and volumetrics are killing my GPU :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Cosmic threat

Pure

4 Likes

Wow! Nice work!

Touchdown! Here is the voting:

I have to use a VPN to access sites like Youtube, Vimeo, Google, because I’m in China. Sometimes the VPN is pretty unreliable. Your video would play up until he put the Rocketeer helmet on, and then freeze.

1 Like

I’m truly sorry to hear that, I didn’t know about your restrictions.

Randy

Haha. No need to apologise. There’s always a way around these things, but it’s sometimes just a bit slow.

I’m going back to the UK soon anyway. Time for my son to start school this year.

Had a bit of free time today, and have found some details of that light, if you still wanted it. Cinemills Silver Bullet 575w HMI Par, seems to be the make and model.
In case you’re wondering why I would go hunting for that, there is a reason.
I wanted to try out these text to image AIs and your image came to mind. I wanted to see if the AI could recreate the stage light accurately with just a make and model name.
It couldn’t. And feeding it a reference image didn’t help much.

To get to this website, I got an image of the light from The Truman Show and put that into Google image search.

1 Like

Thanks! If I had found it at the beginning the model would be different. Still simplified though. Then it was curiosity. Part of that was if the prop was a real light, a completely fake prop, or between.

Interesting test of “AI”.

Why didn’t I think of image search? Should have been the first thing I did.

1 Like

I thought that AI would be able to search the entire internet, find all the images, specs, plans, patents, etc. and then recreate a 3D version to position in an image.
I think it goes without saying that I don’t know much about how these AI image generators work.