Challenge #1083 "Fell from above" (22/03/24) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1083 for Friday 22th of March 2024 is:

Fell from above

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Mar 25, 2024 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Just Landed

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Too Close

Non-Competing, Pure (Other than textures)

9 Likes

Title: “Beyond Redemption”

Pure.
Tried a different style with this one. More stylized.
Didn’t have anything to put on my channel this week, so made a time-lapse of this one…

If you’re interested in seeing the process.

9 Likes

“The Hope that Fell from Above”
Pure

10 Likes

She must came out of heaven

Pure

5 Likes

I like what you did with the lighting on the edges!

2 Likes

Thanks! I did that by placing an area light underneath the symbol but above the background and facing it towards the camera so it wouldnt have any influence on the background.

2 Likes

All the world’s a stage light.

Pure

Falling is a vertical event so I chose a tall format. As a falling object leaves one place and arrives at another one is simplified and one more complex. The detailed lower part works with the simple upper part to represent that. The rural setting and open sky add to the mystery of where it came from. The contrast of green and blue was unplanned.

@KDLynch Can you identify the light from the movie?

Update: added particle grass.
Update: altered grass to blend better. bright-contrast adjusted.

details

Light modeled in Blender 3.6. A commenter somewhere on the web said it is probably a Berkey stage light. I could not find references for it so I used photos from the movie.
Text texture made in Paintshop Pro.
Other materials are procedural.
HRDI background is hochsal_field_8k.exr from PolyHaven CC0

9 Likes

If you’re still working on this, I think adding some grass particles on your shadow catcher would be a nice touch. To make the shadow more distorted.

3 Likes

“Falling Angel”

Open - human base mesh from Blender Studio, wing texture from pixabay.

This was my first attempt at using Blender’s new hair systems, I’m very happy with the result!

8 Likes

Thor’s Hammer

Pure, Cycles

5 Likes

Sky Soldiers

Pure. Blender 4

6 Likes

Reindeer Reentry

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 4.0.2

10 Likes

It’s screaming for vengeance :wink:

Judas_Priest_SforV

2 Likes

The Leak

Blender 4 cycles pure entry.

12 Likes

You got a really nice, almost seamless blend between the particles and the HDRI there!
P.S.

The name of the image file might give it away! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I spent too much time getting that grass to blend.

About Blending Grass

I modeled one grass blade. Used it as particles.
To get the color I used rendered view on the shader screen. Then the eyedropper to select the color of HDRI grass near the particles. Not intuitive. Much trial and error.
To remove a straight edge along the emitter plane I made a vertex group and weight painted so the far edge of grass is indistinct.
Particle randomization of phase and rotation. Random height. Since grass is clumpy I used simple children.
Particles sparse to reveal some of the HDRI.
Alpha of grass material less than one to reduce self shadowing.

@KDLynch has posted about working in theater so I thought he/she might be able to identify the real light used in the movie.

1 Like

Hell yeah! As soon as his red nose smells you, there’s no escape.

1 Like

The Drip

Pure

Created using Geometry Nodes and procedural textures. First time I’ve used geo nodes and will definitely will be using them again.

6 Likes