Challenge #1096 "Made of scrap" (21/06/24) Entries CLOSED

Thanks for the motivating words @Helge!
I probably will keep it labeled as ‘Pure’ though, as most assets and models in the scene were created by me. (The terrain, spirit base mesh and eyes, sticks, which were the first particle system used to block out the shape, and the lighting; but I suppose the lighting doesn’t really count).
Again, thank you!

1 Like

I tried to convert convert my entry to a gif so it would autoplay and loop. The gif file ended up being ~25x larger than the mp4. I thought gifs were supposed to be small… :thinking:
I probably used the wrong export settings or something.

3 Likes

I’m with you about the armatures! It was a nightmare rigging the creature in my entry. :weary:

1 Like

Actually, GIF isn’t all that useful for videos. After 35 years, it is still fine for small animated images but other than that, its limitations make it rather unsuitable for video usage. E.g. (without applying some evil form of black magic) each frame is limited to 256 colors and LZW compression (which was great back in the day) is heavily outperformed by modern algorithms.

That being said, GIF is still my favorite image format - and it is the only graphics format for which I have ever read the complete file format specification. :wink:

3 Likes

Sadly… not enough time.
Wont make it this week. Love the topic though.

Incomplete. “Salvaged”

5 Likes

Scrap the entry thread! Voting is open:

1 Like

Wait. This crab is not wearing welder goggles. But then again, if you are welding from the bottom of the ocean, do you even need welder goggles? Considering how you are in cold, dark, dense salt water; are bright lights just not as dangerously bright as they would be on the surface? I really have no idea on this.

Its a great image though. It’s a nice fun, scrappy little critter.

1 Like