Challenge #1096 "Made of scrap" (21/06/24) Entries CLOSED

Theme #1096 for Friday 21th of June 2024 is:

Made of scrap

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Jun 24, 2024 10:30 PM)

How do I post my entry? Here is an Example: (click to open)

Title: Scrappy Text

pure

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week and will be featured in the Feature Row.”

For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Space Junk

Blender 4.1 cycles pure entry.

4 Likes

“Sandcrawler”

Open. Sandcrawler was downloaded.
Another super quick, super lazy entry this week. I couldn’t think of anything that wouldn’t involve modeling lots of little individual pieces of scrap.

11 Likes

Utinni!!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wow, I love the sun flare and dust cloud! :star_struck: :+1: :blender_logo_64_png:

2 Likes

Can’t participate this time. I would’ve done the Frankenstein monster.

1 Like

Wait, how does lens flare work with two suns?

2 Likes

As pictured above :wink:

2 Likes

@Splododyne that was my first thought as well - Frankenstein… dunno if I will partake this weekend…

I like @PMDesigns answer, but please don’t ask movie maker Michael Bay that question. He’s a known abuser of the lens flare and it never ends well when you give and addict too much of his favorite thing…

Randy

2 Likes

Aeroscrap Engineer

Pure

Armatures literally give me a headache every time I use them, but I’m starting to understand. (kinda)

9 Likes

Kitbash Car

Open - The topic seemed like a good excuse to kitbash something. Models are mostly 3D scans from Ian Hubert’s Patreon, wheels and HDR are polyhaven, and the man is from 3Dscanstore. I used about 30 parts to assemble the car.

I’ve been playing a lot with blender’s compositor, and spent about an hour tweaking things to bring out the details I wanted to see. But just for fun here’s an alternate version where I tried to make it look more like a shot from a movie:

13 Likes

I’m a bit of a purist, and tend to be up in arms about the use of external assets: Unless of course, the results are next level amazing. Add to this the emergence of the AI prompt artist, and this type of work actually gets my respect, and may actually get one of my votes.

2 Likes

Scrap = pieces for art

Pure

I think it’s pure, everything done in Blender, but the texture is from polyhaven :slight_smile:
I actually wanted the light to look more cyber/darkish, but I’m still happy with the result. If I find time tomorrow I might change it a bit.

5 Likes

Engine Scrap Soldiers

I’m a car guy. When I saw this week’s challenge I immediately thought of the engine parts and scraps in my workshop. For those not into car engines: The heads are pistons and the torsos are made from piston rods. Hips are made from a section of crankshaft. Valves and push rods for legs and feet. Valve rocker arms for shoulder joints. Spark plugs are mortar rounds and a timing chain for the machine gun ammo belt. The mortar tube is a section of drive shaft. In addition there are engine springs, nuts and bolts.

Pure. Blender 4.1 Cycles render.

11 Likes

Scrap Crab

non competing (pure), Cycles, Blender 4.1.1

12 Likes

Wow, that’s creative!

1 Like

‘Forest Spirit’

Pure, (at least I think so) most leaves from Graswald’s Gscatter and trees from Bproduction’s free Plant Library. Terrain, forest spirit base mesh, sticks, and lighting created yesterday. Cycles render engine, Blender 4.0.2
Didn’t turn out the way I hoped, but it took about an hour to render and I don’t want to do that again.:weary: :sweat_smile: Better than my entry in the Mysterious Garden challenge though, I had more time to work on it.
I hope you like it!
(I tried to mix together two of my favorite times of day in this render, blue hour and golden hour, and think that went pretty well!)

Here’s some viewport renders:

4 Likes

Nice one, I didn’t think about that!

1 Like

Taking into account the big part pre-made assets play in this one, I’d consider making it an ‘open’ entry.

It still turned out great, though! Anyone who has ever walked through a dark forest at night probably knows how easy it is to see all kinds of things without knowing whether they are real or not. (And trust me, I know - I’ve lived in Germany’s Black Forest for a few years. :wink: )

1 Like