Challenge #718 Voting CLOSED

Who would have thought that this discussion would actually have some educational aspects to it?

I didn’t know the word “codswallop” - and I’m not sure how I survived without it for so long. And I didn’t know a game called “Conkers”. (Maybe the EU prevented me from knowing about it - but I doubt that anyone there would have much interest in doing that.)
We had a ‘similar’ game when we were young. We built little (~10cm) ‘cars’ out of cardboard and nails and shot them upon each other with rubberbands. In order to win you needed to break a very small bag (containing paint and water) within the other car. The good old times… luckily no one was ever hurt. :slight_smile:

@RobertT: Thumbs up :slight_smile:

Thank you Robert, I think everyone will agree that was a truly amazing response. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond once again. I think if this topic is ever raised again you should probably just point them to this thread.

As for why I cited your web page, it was simple that to me, logical, those that are curious about why you don’t compete, will also probably be the same people that share at least one of my opinions on the subject. If you think that is incorrect then lets just simply agree to disagree. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Damien

My take on the compete/non-compete rules.

OMG!!! I’ve been such an Idiot!

I know I said I wasn’t going to post again on this topic, but I feel that I have no choice in the matter anymore. I don’t know what kind of person this now makes me but here’s the truth.

The WC for me is about the challenge of getting the project finished and on time and has never been about competing against anybody. However, I felt it was really unfair on anyone that chooses to compete, if I or others use the Pure Non-Competing option. But if you accept that even the people that use the competing option feel the same way about the challenge, then they are only entering the competition for a chance to select the next WC theme and not to have their artwork compared and rated.

I didn’t see the chance to select the next theme as a desirable prize, so I didn’t think others were really only competing for the chance to win it. I thought if everyone thought like me they would all choose the non-competing option, because I wouldn’t want my artwork compared and rated unless it was being compared and rated against everybody else’s. But if your only motivation for entering the competition is to get a chance to select the next theme then almost everything I’ve said has been complete and utter rubbish. Also, things like voting for yourself would be perfectly acceptable in such a case. PhotoX, I want my vote back!

Also, on reflection my latest competition entry which made another little wisecrack at the subject was really very childish, especially when I had no intention of ever discussing the topic again.

I still think the way the voting is handled is very confusing, but at least I now know that I shouldn’t be voting for whose image I think is best, but who I think deserves the chance to pick the next theme. So if you are like me that is how you will vote, and if your not, then I don’t care, because that is how I think you should be.

I believe I own everyone an apology including rarebit.

So I sincerely apologize for my behavior and I hope you can all forgive me.

Damien

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[EDIT]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE NOTE THE GMT TIME IS NOW: 15:15 on 10-JUN-2017

This post will now serve as my WC “Mysterious landmarks” theme entry.

I know that I am being played, and I know that Fweeb has been told not to delete this persons empty posts, and has been given the reason for it. i.e. to get revenge on me. I suspect rarebit and this person are working together, and rarebit may well be the master mind behind it all.

I was up till 4am worried about this person and reading all their posts trying to figure out why they had chosen to delete their account. I realized what this person had told me by PM was in fact most likely untrue.

I hope this post serves as an example of how much I actually do care about the people here, and that my concerns about the way the voting is handled are in fact sincere.

I would like to see us all try a different approach, one where we provide a video/audio track along with artwork, so members can see that they shouldn’t just be voting on the image alone.

Example of a WC entry:

Title: Genesis
Cat: Competing
Track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlTxvIDjTdo

(image)

Side Note:
Sorry RobertT for posting that dolphin video, I really didn’t plan on posting it, although I know it looks that way. I felt very ashamed of myself after I had posted it, and knew that many people had already seen it, so it was too late to remove it.

Also Fweeb I will be posting that image and music video that I removed, because I felt at the time I had been unfair to you, clearly that was not the case. :wink:

All the best,
Damien

@rarebit:
Live long and prosper.

The WC was forged before the dawn of undo from the brain of a dragon.

Guess your promise didn’t last too long. It’s beginning to feel alot like trolling. I am wondering if you are actually one of rarebit/rawstar’s duplicate accounts. Stop writing rambling essays and trolling with your pointless argument. Like you promised.

Oh and rarebit you are an incredible artist. Downloading memes from Google images is tough. You inspire us all.

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 718 with 44.44% of the votes is… DoriNori!
Here’s to all the great participators…

HELIX : 1 : 5.56%
Modron : 2 : 11.11%
rarebit : 0 : 0%
purbosky : 5 : 27.78%
fcharr : 2 : 11.11%
DoriNori : 8 : 44.44%

https://blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=477840&stc=1&thumb=1
The Ol’ One-Shot (“My Gun is Better Than Your Gun”)

@Photox
Hi mate, sorry if I’ve offended you, I don’t really know your history with rarebit, but I owed everyone including him and you an apology, so I gave it. Obviously, it would be nice if he apologized to you and me but all this hate you’ve got is really only effecting yourself and your health. I mean do you want to have a hart-attack and die someday screaming rarebit’s name? Be the bigger person, just let it go.

Also you can keep my vote :wink:

You keep speaking for everyone like you think we are all the same little robots and that you are so wise… Far left, extreme left, are just as bad far right or extreme right wing ideologies… You may be happy being like this, and your attitude is the same as those in far left dictatorships, so why live here if you’d prefer to go live in North Korea, the last true communist state, er dictatorship

I said, in rather obvious sarcastic tones at the time, that I had made it with a meme generator (RT logo was composited!)… Funnily enough (beyond the contained message), the meme part was demonstrating the extremities of pure entries and how absurd it was, soooo thanks for being one of the few to react! It was a philosophical bind calling for action… er a test to see who isn’t a sheep, who’d press the button if told to…

As for trolling, I’ll wear that label proudly even though you’re giving it as an insult, at least I know it struck a chord and someone was listening

And no, too honest to myself to pretend to be a far or extremist anything (here), so no, not 3dbi, but I do wonder who it is… I may pull out NLTK and run some analysis this weekend to find out

Congratulations Dori Nori, can I borrow your top gun for personal reasons please, this headache is doin me nutt in

Hi rarebit,

When it comes to writing, I appreciate any comments or feedback you or anyone else can give me. So I will try my best not to use that phrase in future.

Thank you.

Oh, as for RT, his art really does inspire me and get me thinking of how’s and what the’s, but there is virtually always something extra, some ancient philosophical discussion that broadens my mind when I read further. A true inspiration, now if I could just learn some of his patience and calm understanding then I wouldn’t be the controversial, devils advocate which annoys everyone, but then again I am of the Milton method, so don’t expect my tactics to change, to understand, read My Voice Will Go With You by Milton Erickson, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_H._Erickson

Anyway, love you all, yes even you finalbarrage, you’re all personalities with valid voices which need to be heard…

“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”

Albert Einstein

I’ll give you props for at least admitting you’re a troll and owning it. To me, a troll is about the lowest form of life out there. Care to elaborate as to why you are proud to be a troll and why you have decided to troll this thread?

This thread, because a couple of earlier responses to 3dbi were deleted, and they weren’t trollish, just me defending that I’m not right wing or a Trump supporter, even though I have “some” respect for him standing up and saying f it to being bound by political correctness and being coerced into others whims. Lets face it in this country we don’t have a problem with Islamic Terrorism, no, they’re just terrorists and I’m labelled as a troll or racist for saying as such, you know, brow beaten into submission until I say baa. So anyone who labels me a troll, to me, is worse than what you see as a troll, you’re defending all that is bad and attacking anyone who stands up against left wing oppression and freedom of speech.

As for you saying “lowest”, that’s like 3dbi saying “everyone”, and in terms of therapy or linguistics those types of words are classed as “exaggerations” and are actually covering repressed / incomplete thought systems… A.K.A. cliches.

Ask yourself, would you class me as a troll if you agreed with my opinion? Have you used any troll tactics (such as name calling) against me?

I think that rarebit had all this time a lot of stress retained for having been moderator of the challenge and for having to stay neutral… :slight_smile:
Helge, I imagine you releasing your stress that way in a few years :evilgrin:

@rarebit, rules are rules and the forum does not allow political related discussions. I think they also have deleted me posts for the same reason on some other occasion. Believe me, with the injustices that occur in the world, more than once have made me want to discuss about it in the forum. Well, at least sometimes we can use the challenge to express what we think :slight_smile:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?408584-Challenge-695-(14-10-16)-Entries-CLOSED&p=3110155&viewfull=1#post3110155

@DoriNori, congratulations!

===

I hope my bad English does not get me in trouble with this discussion :spin:

First bit, absolutely true.

The censorship part, everything is political and offense is in the eye of the beholder… So, please, never mention god to me, gods yes’ish, but monotheistic religions are right wing by very definition of believing others are different. (flamer or obvious truth?)

I should read the rules, I’ll try to stick to just using art from now on, but apologies because I know my passion will get the better of me

I never tried NLTK. Just out of curiosity - how much text would (usually) be needed for reliable results?

You have no idea! I have already been collecting Kompromat on every single one of you, for years now. It will be a bloodbath…:evilgrin:

4. Politics, political expression and political propaganda are considered inappropriate.

• An exception may be made, after group consideration, to allow content in such forum as is deemed appropriate.

One could argue that inappropriate doesn’t necessarily equal forbidden/prohibited :slight_smile:
But then again:

I’m thinking the same thing quite often. But as rarebit said, Einstein said: “If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.” There is some truth in that. On the other hand xkcd #386 has a point, as well.