• joshwinkler3d
  • Millani
  • parclite
  • Leonard_Sam
  • FlyingBanana
  • s.haris
  • Rikimaru10

0 voters

After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared: The voting will close on: Wed, Aug 29, 2018 11:00 PM.
The winner picks the theme for next week.

If the winner doesn’t supply a theme before Thursday 22:30 GMT, the organizer will select the theme. In this case, the winner’s theme will be used the next time we are lacking a theme on Thursday 22:30 GMT. :slight_smile:

Having selected the theme, the winner will not be eligible to enter that week. They may however still submit an image, but it won’t be included in the voting.

This week’s winner:
ba-feature-20180830-wc

Pure Entries

purbosky: Dying Sphere

fcharr: Piano

atekdigital: The Night Fade to grey

MonkeYceBear: Fading Flower

AlexanderVanAnders: FadeTo Grey

nule: Washed Away

joshwinkler3d: Not so alone after all

Millani: No Colour Too Bright it Does not Fade, No Grey Too Dark it Cannot be Painted

parclite: Choose Your Colour

Open Entries

Leonard_Sam: grey grass

(Wasn’t planning on an entry but just got the grass essentials and felt like testing it out)

FlyingBanana: Grey Matter

(Open Entry 128 samples and filmic the eyes are using image textures)

s.haris: Fade to gray

(It’s all done in Blender but I’ve used a lot of images as stencil brushes.)

Rikimaru10: Barn

(this is a open entry, i guess because i use a lot of textures from google)

Non-competing Entries

OLG: Fade to Grey

Helge: Evolve To Grey

RobertT: THE VANISHING OF VARNISH

Saquire: Fade to Grave

@Millani: A good example of a well lit dark scene. A nice balance of complexity on the right and use of color on the left. Great looking water.

2 Likes

It seems everyone is quietly waiting for this :wink:

purbosky: Interesting usage of a natural fading to grey. The colours could’ve been made more visible (maybe with the compositor). This reminds me of another of your entries, btw.

fcharr: The subtle curvature and slight change of colours of the keys makes the piano look interesting. Is it missing a leg though?

atekdigital: I wonder what happened that they left everything on the beach like that! Considering that the sandals are still there, I suppose the owner didn’t go very far. Maybe they’re doing something they don’t want to do in front of the camera :wink:

MonkeYceBear: Charming flowers, their shapes look very organic. The subtle variation in saturation is also soothing.

AlexanderVanAnders: Haha, I loved his expression of confusion. It looks like it is made of plaster, like a bust.

nule: I think this could’ve looked really cool if the water were more visible (maybe play around with the light to make the reflections show?). This could be a good wallpaper.

joshwinkler3d: Opposites attract, even if you are a default cube. Even in a decaying environment it is possible to find love.

parclite: That would be very interesting in a clothe store. The shirts are also very well made, I would never be able to get such a result from the cloth simulator.

Leonard_Sam: I wonder what kind of giant made that hole on the wall (and how did it avoid crushing the grass).

FlyingBanana: Haha, some grey things aren’t grey. The brain material looks very brainy, and the way it is looking at me is quite intimidating (and comical). The droplets on the camera were a interesing touch. I just think some glossiness on the eyes would’ve helped.

s.haris: Peculiar, not sure if I understood. Is each strand representing a lifetime, with the face of a child meaning the beginning and “fading to grey” means getting old?

Rikimaru10: Spooky empty barn, not sure if it safe to go in there.

OLG: Very good model and material. The placement of the gun makes the barrel look even longer. I just think the ground is not helping much with the overall image. Did you consider using a product shot style, with a mostly black or white background?

Helge: So that’s why life evolved from sea life to mammals: Because of cheese! You have to agree with me, it is much better than eating algae. That tail is also very hypnotising.

RobertT: This reminds me of some glitches you get when placing a image on top of itself with a small shift. It looks chaotic on the one hand, but I also get the feeling that there is something behind the shards, like a building of sorts.

Squire: Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Good to see that there are some colourful flowers on the grave. I just think that the transition from grey to green could’ve been less abrupt. Messing with particle info you can get the location of each particle, and with a gradient texture it should be possible to make the transition smooth.

Haha, no “nice” nor “pretty” this time. Pretty nice, huh? Damn…

3 Likes

thanks :slight_smile: I found that allot of big pianos only have 3 legs.

I know :slight_smile: That is how they paralyze the cheese before catching it. It works great with all types of cheese - only Casu Marzu seems to be immune as it keeps moving…

And… the winner of Weekend Challenge 792 with 42% of the votes is… Millani!
Here’s to all the great participators…

No Colour Too Bright it Does not Fade, No Grey Too Dark it Cannot be Painted

@Millani, congratulations! That was a beautiful render.

Also, thanks for the comments. I did a quick re-render and it does have a different look.

@Helge, it is a conspiracy. The blue reflection on the pitting was not planned. Just happened oddly since I don’t have any blue lights (3 point light scheme with white lights) and a light grey background for world lighting.

Congrats @Millani ! Guess this win was tied into last weeks theme. Quite the serendipitous win.

Congrats Milanni!
I suspect the next theme will be something that could possibly involve robots! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for the votes! This victory was particularly cool for me since this week I completed exactly one year of weekend challenge.

And there goes my breakfast :wink:

Funny coincidence. Or was it fate? It was probably caused by the same mysterious force which injected the blue light into @OLG’s scene…

Congrats Milanni!
I like your render the most. And yes, getting old is simbolism for fade to gray, like gray hair and such.

@Millani - Thanks for the comment and congrats :slight_smile: