Challenge #826 (19/04/19) Entries CLOSED

Theme #826 for Friday 19th of April 2019 is:

Fantasy Tech Device

Entry closes on Monday, 22:30 GMT (Mon, Apr 22, 2019 10:30 PM)

“There are two main goals for these contests: Fun and Glory.
Fun: You get only 4 days to create a cool image, based on the theme for the week.
Glory: After 2 days of voting, a winner is declared. The winner picks the theme for next week.”

Please remember to state if your entry is pure, open or non-competing.
For details please check out the: CHALLENGE RULES

Btw.: Comments are welcome in both threads (entries/voting). Have fun! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting theme for this weekend. I will see what I can do.

Edit: i have not enough time, unfortunately

Title : power nap capsule
Pure EV (express)

That is a nice theme, Fantasy Tech Device. This week I was looking for the best colour combinations I could find. That was a struggle, but at one moment I type in google: Tim Burton movies, and clicked on: Images. Whoa. That was what I was looking for. Here just a place-holder, which is not a Tech Device yet, but probably this will be the starting point. Well anyway (if I have some time) I hope to make a colourful plastic fantasy tech device.
Update: another render, this time more related to device. I will think of the fantasy part.
Update: it’s more like a device now. I think I can’t spend more time tomorrow.

4 Likes

Well depending on if I have enough spare time to whip something up between another contest (CGBoost’s “Ancient Robot”) I am working on I might end up sitting this one out. :frowning: Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with though. Here is where it is at so far, but still lots more to do to it. Since it kinda fits the theme I will just post a wip of where it is at the moment.

I can’t decide on the first or second one. Any input is welcomed as this is one of my first times entering in a contest outside of here. They both are rendered at only 128 samples and also clamping was used. The final rendering will be done on the desktop with the power to up the samples through the roof to clean it up.

Not an entry Not an entry
1…

2…

6 Likes

Time to play more Skyrim :smiley:

2 Likes

Love the theme. I’ll try and put more time into this one.

1 Like

not an entry
this is about up my ally :sunglasses: I love trying to make tech stuff :yum::smirk: had an idea a long time ago for something for phones
or holograms printed it off after I finished it, but never finished the prototype.

2 Likes

got an idea for this one its in a scene from the original Star Trek Tv series but its going to be updated to future :yum::smirk::sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi everyone!
My first post here!
I will try my best and wish inspiration for everybody on this weekend!

3 Likes

Uhmm… watching and prepping for one of these weekends…

Hi everyone!

2 Likes

Welcome! Fire up blender and start creating.

1 Like

Hey, some new users. Welcome, @SingledOut and @ost.nik !

2 Likes

Now I just need to get the device part into this…

Question: Does the use of textures from websites like poliigon affect a pure entry to become an open one? If no then this Entry, not finished yet, is pure.

Good luck everyone

Entry Pure, all used materials are avaiable for free on poliion

The Rune of Protection

The big yellow rune is said to be the nordic rune of protection. In my Image it is balancing the battel between bleu runes/ good runes and red runes/bad runes. It all is steared by the misterious alien robot who has total control over the rune of protection and is said to be the most powerful being in the whole universe.

Can anyone tell my why the Bottom mist is so pixelated, the one on the left side is not pixelated at all and they both have the same settings. Thank you in Advance.

I just realised that you can t even see the left mist in this example picture …

2 Likes

Dogulus Ruff (Pure)

“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.”

I went too far in a few places. If someone said I’d be grooming a virtual dog this weekend, I’d tell them they’re crazy.

4 Likes

“Automatic Potion Dispenser”
pure

2 Likes

I would say in regards to using textures from poligon would be fine as long as they are freebies. However if they are paid then that would mean someone trying to create the same thing would not be able to do it freely and I would say then it would become an “Open” entry.

Others here don’t seem to mind texture use and still staying in the “Pure” entry category. Personally myself I still consider texture use as open as it wasn’t something created entirely in blender without leaving the software to get a texture even if I already have it on my drive I still at some point had to find it and download it. So all in all it comes down to your call. These WEC’s don’t need a call-out on entries as it is purely for fun and hope it always stays that way.

3 Likes

Gun Blade

Pure

Cycles, 6000 samples, filmic, HDRI lighting and background

My design but inspired by Final Fantasy gun blades. Meant to be used as a two handed sword if you in a middle of a battle and don’t have enough time to reload. Super fun to model. Completely impractical in any sense of reality which makes it into the fantasy category.

Updated image:

Added the super cool recommendation of a chainsaw to the “device”. Also modeled a quick cartridge to show what it would shoot. Low end elephant gun. Designed for close range sledgehammer punch.

Old Entries:

Post Script:

Render without all the peripherals to get a better feel for the design.

And thank goodness for autosave. When I opened up the file this morning I realized I had not saved the last one to two hours of work applying the different materials and light set up. I did lose the wood stands but those were trivial.

5 Likes

And I would like to add that there are at least as many interpretations to the rules as there are participants in this challenge.

The important thing is to be honest about external resources that you use. There is a big difference between modelling your own wooden floor and plugging a displacement texture into a plane.

1 Like

I agree with this as well. Free, publically accessible textures should be fine to use.

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

1 Like